"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Executive Chef

POSOLE

Serves 4
Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
1/2 onion stuck with 2 cloves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
5 peppercorns
1/2 tsp. whole cumin seed
oregano, pinch
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbl. oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cayenne
4 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed
3 to 5 cups pork broth from cooking pork shoulder
1 cup canned chopped green chilies
Salt to taste
2 whole jalapenos, canned or fresh, chopped (optional)

Procedure:

Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water. Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic, peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.

Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute. Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan. Stir in the canned hominy, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock), green chilies and jalapenos (optional).

Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat and hominy are tender. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth. Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Master Chef

Thanks, rainee. A coworker brought this for lunch the other day and it smelled so good. I asked for the recipe, but he said that it was something that his wife had just thrown together.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Head Chef

Hi rainee,
I made something similar to that a couple weeks ago, with the following changes.
Instead of useing canned homoney, (which I went to the store for) I used dried large white corn which was in the same aisle as the dried beans.
I couldn't find any good fresh green chili's, so I used 6 dried guajillo chili's (spelling?) that I covered with water and simmered for twenty minutes. After cooling slightly I pureed them in the blender with their cooking liquid. Instead of pork stock, I used chicken stock that I already had made that was in the freezer. I also bumped the heat up a bit with additional jalapenos.
Boy was it good, it was my 1st attempt but it certainly won't be my last.
John.

Tags
None