Shiitake, Beef, and Bean stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i made this over the weekend, and it came out great. i've been trying to find ways to get my son to eat more protein, so i thought of making a beef stew, replacing the traditional potatoes with white northern beans.
(btw, this is not low fat, or particularly healthy, but man it was good)

shiitake, beef, and bean stew

ingredients:
4 cups great northern beans (mine were dried so i rehydrated them overnight, then drained and rinsed)
3 cans (14 oz) of beef broth
4 lbs chuck cubes for stew
4 tbsps flour
1 stick butter
6 tbsps canola oil
2 tbsps evoo
4 1/2 cups of diced onions
3 cups diced celery
3 cups baby carrots, cut in half
4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
4 bay leaves, dried
10 fresh sage leaves
5 cups shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated from dried, reserving liquid, about 1 1/2 cups)
3 cups red wine

directions:
in a medium sauce pan, put the beans in 2 cans of beef broth over low heat to simmer. (my beans were old, so, in order that they would be ready at the same time as the rest of the stew, i simmered them in broth first.)

sprinkle beef cubes with salt and pepper, then roll in flour. in a large, heavy stock pot, add 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsps canola oil over high heat. brown 1/3 of the beef cubes. when the beef is good and brown, set aside. deglaze pot with 1/3 of a can of beef broth, and set aside with the browned beef. repeat 2 more times, adding oil and butter, browning floured beef cubes, then deglazing the pot, setting the beef and deglazing liquid aside.

in the same large stock pot, put in 2 tbsps evoo over medium-high heat, and add the garlic. when garlic is beginning to brown, add 4 tbsps butter, then the onions to sweat. when the onions have sweated and begin to get a little color, add the carrots and celery. add bay and sage leaves. cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. add shiitakes and their reserved liquid, then add the simmering beans and broth. add the beef and reserved deglazing liquid. add wine and any remaining butter.

reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is tender and the beans are just beginning to break up. serve with crusty bread, or better yet, in a bread boule.

Gee, that does sound good.
The only thing unhealthy about it is the butter. I'm sure the butter is a delcious addition, but if you want to cut down on the fat, you could use a slurry of flour and water to thicken it, instead of the flour and butter.
HB got a couple of nice does this weekend. I think I'll try your recipe with some of our venison.

BT, that sure beats my Dinty Moore 'recipe'. If there are any leftovers, maybe make little beef pot pies or beef biscuit cups, w a side o' green beans and Italian tomatoes. Yummy. Great comfort/cold-weather food.

buckytom said:
i made this over the weekend, and it came out great. i've been trying to find ways to get my son to eat more protein, so i thought of making a beef stew, replacing the traditional potatoes with white northern beans.
(btw, this is not low fat, or particularly healthy, but man it was good)

shiitake, beef, and bean stew

Just out of curiosity, how old is your son? Did he like the above recipe? I struggled with my son for years to eat some protein.He loves salad but come meat that's different. He is 5 and a half now and if it's not meat balls, or burgers( make them at home) then he will just eat the accompaniment as long as it's potatoe wedges,oven chips or rice. He loves curry though, so I am always busy trying to keep up with his curry taste buds and making him try lots of other stuff.

pdswife, anytime you and paul are in joisey, i'll be your host and chef for the weekend!

sizzles, my son is 20 months now. he is a carb and veggie freak. unfortunately, he doesn't like the chewy texture of meat. he'll eat potatoes and pasta and toast all day long. he even loves raw veggies like tomatoes and bell peppers. we give him a whole vine ripened tomato every day as an appetizer before his lunch. (ok, it was really just to keep him occupied at first while you make lunch, but then he started eating them like an apple, and expects one every day now). i'll expect to grow some nice tomato plants in my carpet next summer from the seeds that i missed cleaning up.:)
he's very good with dairy protein. probably eats a coupla slices each of american cheese and wedges of laughing cow swiss every day, besides about 25 ozs. of milk. but i wanted him to get away from so much dairy protein, and eat more animal and veggie protein, like beans and meat. thus, the inspiration for this soup. the best part about using chuck is that it breaks apart very easily into the stew, so he eats some meat without even knowing it. he also like to pick out the white beans and eat them by hand.

mish, the beef pies with the leftovers sounds great. thanks for the idea.

constance, good idea about slurry. most of the butter was used to brown or sweat the ingredients, so you could replace that with less fattening alternatives like evoo or cooking spray, and the slurry.

BT:

Thanks for the recipe! I'll be making this after vacation.

I have one question. The 4 cups of beans and the 5 cups of shiitakes - are those measurements after rehydration or are they measures of the dry ingredients?

Andy M. said:
BT:

Thanks for the recipe! I'll be making this after vacation.

I have one question. The 4 cups of beans and the 5 cups of shiitakes - are those measurements after rehydration or are they measures of the dry ingredients?

sorry i'm late responding, but all of my measurements were written down as i cooked them or in other words, rehydrated in those instances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom