"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I always let it just burn out. Yes, it can be used for show (I have a great series ofpics of me flambeing from last year). Keep a lid handy, just in case, as sometimes the flames can get a little high. If the flames get up into the exhaust, something might catch. A fire extinguisher is always a good idea to have in a kitchen anyway.

Yes, you should be able to taste it after the alcohol burns out.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #32
Head Chef

The juice from a jar of banana peppers and some Louisiana hot sauce.. just a few drops.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

I got this from Sylvia Porter's Soul Food Cookbook and it really works. A couple of dashes of lemon pepper seasoning during the last 30-40 minutes. When I do this, I can't stop eating the stew
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Chuck roast, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, smoke flavoring, a good beef stock, bay leaves, gravy mix, and onion soup mix, and a little brown sugar. The chuck roast is cut into three or four large chunks and left in the slow cooker on low all day with all the rest of the ingredients. When it is all done, then I cube it.
For awhile I had a very good Thai beef stock that I was using, gave it a very distinctive flavoring that everyone loved.
Sounds like me, it just needs a tablespoon of vegemite to add that extra oomph!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #35
Senior Cook

In France, it's common for cooks to add the zest of a whole orange to their beef stews.
Dried orange zest will work as well. It adds a whole new flavor layer to the stew, but does not overwhelm it with an orangey taste. It's subtle and delicious. I love it. Let me know if you try it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #36
Sous Chef

marmite, red wine lots of garlic a dash of cinnamon
Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Besides the regular ingredients ( I prefer elk or grass fed highland beef ) Sage --to add an earthy note and fresh nutmeg to make a liason (sp)between the meat and vegetables . Nutmeg has been used to marry sweet and savory for time out of mind. You don't add so much that you taste nutmeg -- You do taste the difference though --Just went and looked at my old recipe-- I add some ale too ( forgot that , I usually have a glass of ale on the go when I'm cooking anyways )
So-Sage, Nutmeg ,and Ale------Gage
Oh ya -- I use my own stock or demi-glace,leeks ,garlic,potatoes.Bay ,Ale, And Beef or elk or venison. A good garden is worth the trouble.
serve with fresh slaw and your own bread
Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Thanks, Allen, I started using fresh corn about 15 years ago and I love it.........I just hold the cob straight up over the board and scrape everything in a vertical position and then transfer into the stew pot towards the end........how do you set your pan on fire with the cognac.......serious pyromaniacs want to know........I'm, to be honest, afraid to do it........ so if you have a good technique or anyone else out there does let us know ...thanks, debs
I cook my stew in a really high sided stock pot and I use a grill match (one of those LONG wooden matches) to light the cognac - then I keep a lid handy - but the flame usually burns out almost immediately. I use a tiny little airlines sided bottles of cognac - just a small amt to impart the flavor
Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #39
Master Chef

I get a heavy pot real hot, add a little oil, and with lid OFF, quickly sear the chunks of beef until they're almost black. That gives your gravy a nice color.
One small can of tomato sauce adds a lot of flavor, as well.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I consider this a basic ingredient, but at any rate, enough bay leaves to impart an aroma, as well as a subtle taste. Usually 2-3 for the amount I make, depending on the size of the leaf. I think good beef stew needs that aroma as your leaning over a steaming bowl.
mmmm......
i am with you on the bay leaf. also add the red wine, garlic powder, make sure you brown meat first. i found that if onion, carrots etc are cut larger than you would think, gives huge flavor.

Tags
None