"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #41
Senior Cook

I start with salt pork. Rinse to remove excess salt. then cube it and cook over low heat to render the fat. Remove the salt pork from the pot. Dredge the beef in seasoned flour and brown in the rendered fat. Add bacon grease or butter if needed. When browned, add a cup or two of red wine, 1 generous tablespoon of tomato paste and beef stock (or canned beef broth) to barely cover the meat. Add the cooked salt pork back to the pot. Cover and braise over medium low heat for an hour. Remove from heat, add salt, pepper and herbs to taste (I use marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, etc). Don't oversalt or overseason. You'll have a chance to correct the seasonings later. Add vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, etc). Add more stock, if needed. Transfer to oven, cover and cook at 275 degrees for at least 3 or 4 hours, until meat is very tender. You can add fresh mushrooms during the last 1/2 hour, if desired. Transfer all the meat and vegetables to a large serving dish. Taste the broth and correct seasonings, if necessary. Make a thin paste of flour and water (stir or strain the lumps out). Bring broth to a low boil and add the flour mixture a little at a time, in a slow stream - stirring or whisking constantly. It should thicken fairly quickly (a couple of minutes). Repeat until you have the consistency you want. Pour it over the meat and serve.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Why bother flambeing ?? Except when the flames will affect the result, In this case I can't see how it will change the stew. The alcohol will evaporate anyway. I do flambe dishes and use a big swiss rechaud made by Spring Brothers so I think I understand the concept. Table side cooking is one thing ,but getting your smoke detector pissed off for no reason is another. Done wrong in a high sided pot could get one a really nice burn. Am I missing something ??? Gage

Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #43
Master Chef

hey, the flambeing , sounds like a great idea..........lighten (get it) up...........:):)........just need to make a stew and try it........only been here a week and finally the temps are getting cool enough to where it sounds wonderful
Old 12-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #44
Senior Cook

If you use some meat with bones (shanks) when you make beef stew, you could leave out the broth I think?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #45
Senior Cook

are you suggesting an oso bocco style stew or a stew with two different types of meat ?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
are you suggesting an oso bocco style stew or a stew with two different types of meat ?
Yes.. I actually made it a few days ago...
Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #47
Senior Cook

was that an oso-bocco ?
or two different types of meat ? --Gage
Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
was that an oso-bocco ?
or two different types of meat ? --Gage
more or less an osso buco, but i know my mother also made it with two different types of meat in the past.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
I start with salt pork. Rinse to remove excess salt. then cube it and cook over low heat to render the fat. Remove the salt pork from the pot. Dredge the beef in seasoned flour and brown in the rendered fat. Add bacon grease or butter if needed. When browned, add a cup or two of red wine, 1 generous tablespoon of tomato paste and beef stock (or canned beef broth) to barely cover the meat. Add the cooked salt pork back to the pot. Cover and braise over medium low heat for an hour. Remove from heat, add salt, pepper and herbs to taste (I use marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, etc). Don't oversalt or overseason. You'll have a chance to correct the seasonings later. Add vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, etc). Add more stock, if needed. Transfer to oven, cover and cook at 275 degrees for at least 3 or 4 hours, until meat is very tender. You can add fresh mushrooms during the last 1/2 hour, if desired.
I do this also, but I flour my meat first and I use bacon rather than salt pork.

I also use a little worcheshire sauce, red wine, bay leaves, tomato paste, and rather than beef stock, I use chicken stock!

My family loves loves loves my beef stew. Especially if I make it one day, and serve it the next.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Can you add some flour at the end, if you decide to thicken the stew? Is it better to mix the flour with boiling water before adding it?

Second, does anyone use leeks for flavour?

Tags
None