World Championship Gumbo Cookoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
If anyone knows any contact information about this event please post it.

I have several friends who insist I do this gig just to see.

I at least want to go down once and see whats up before I enter.

I can only find one web page at tabasco about it but how to get in is another matter apparently.

That sounds like fun and good too. I wished we had gatherings like this around me. I think I'll have to do some checking and see if anything is within a few hours of where I live.

It's in New Iberia Mudbug

I will tall ya, my love of cooking has led to some real fun at these type things.

It's my "excuse" to be there more or less, where I dont feel like a tourist.

I have met some great folks at cookoffs, who also have a passion for cooking. It's just really good clean FUN!

I am in a Chili cookoff this coming sunday and have the second batch of "experiments" in the oven as I type.

THere is nothing quite like going to a cookoff. It's all foriegn to you, except what you came to do, and if you know what you want to make, and how to make it, it just grounds you into almost any environment.

I also love to bring stuff I've made and put out platters for everyone to have a taste. It really is good fun. You get to share, and if you just like the idea, the chance to get recognition for it.

At the last one I went to my roasted pecans on a platter kept people there to talk to the whole time and they just plain hammered my smoked salmon spread on crackers. It's just a lot of fun to see people you dont know and watch their eyes pop when they try your stuff.

Last edited:
I agree about going to cookoffs. The Memphis in May BBQ contest is some of the most fun I've had.

Ham, why don't you just call up the New Iberia Chamber of Commerce or sump'n and ask who you hafta talk to to get in on it? Surely they will know the right folks for you to get in touch with.

Contact the New Iberia Chamber of Commerce: 337-364-1836

You might also use the contact email link on the Tabasco site and ask them since they sponsor the contest.

Thanks M I done did that aweready on dat other day and done signed up on the waitin list which is 25 long but dey sed it's a good chance you get in.

Ham Hock... I been thinkin cher' you maybe been holdin out on us good ole boys wid yo gumbo recipes... tell you for tue cher' you better share dem thangs wid us...!

I have cooked gumbo many many ways.

I will tell you my mama's favorite, she says nobody can cook this the way her mama did but me.
(her mama hardly spoke english and had so many grandkids she didnt even know who I was!)

It is classic po folks Cajun gumbo and it is superb and remarkably simple.

1/2 cups each oil and flour (butter or bacon oil if you can cook a roux, vegetable oil or olive oil if you arent all up on it yet)

Two big yellow onions, chopped and set aside

One chicken cut up the way you like it but leave the skin on to cook, and include the backbone in the pot.

Salt and the peppers of your choice, my mama likes black pepper mostly and a touch of cayanne.

Cooked white rice to serve it over.

Make de roux and make it almost ya ya or as dark as you can get it without burning it. Turn off heat and let cool on the side.

Brown the chopped onions in bacon fat until almost crispy, a deep brown color and set aside.

Put water to cover the chicken in a pot and bring to boil. Add onions and then spoon in the cooled roux, and salt and pepper.

Cook until chicken is tender and server over rice.

I have cooked gumbo a thousand ways and this is still one of the best gumbos I have ever eaten.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom