"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 09-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
Executive Chef

What is the difference between Au gratin potatoes and scalloped potatoes? Is it just the cheese? My mother used to make absolutely heavenly scalloped potatoes....unfortunately she didn't use a recipe so I have nothing to go by.

My brother and I didn't like au gratin potatoes. When she made them we would say "Ug. Rotten potatoes." LOL

Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
I am on a mission to find/create a recipe for the perfect au gratin potatoes.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Good thing there are all kinds of foods to suit all tastes! That makes it tricky to create the "perfect" recipe, too.......
Rasp, I think GG just figured out the perfect recipe! You can have fun mixing and matching all kinds of cheese blends all winter long, making sure to mark down what you used and how much, and the potato dish that makes you have a second helping and STILL go back for "just a little more" will be the perfect one for you and your taste buds. Warning: if you aren't careful your spring clothes won't fit you come next April...

Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Senior Cook

That's my plan! I will use the ideas everyone has given me and go from there. I do know that Betty Crocker's recipe is good but awfully bland. I'm thinking onions, but not sweet ones as The potatoes are sweet enough for me. Garlic, maybe roasted garlic might be good, but a bit sweet, too. No nutmeg either. Some sort of Swiss type cheese, extra sharp cheddar, cream type cheese, sour cream or buttermilk, garlic, chives; I'm thinking to try variations. Over my dead body I will write down as I go, so I will eventually have my perfect "old rottens" recipe. My hubby will be my Lab rat!

Due to my hubby being traumatized by having to scrub his mother's ungreased mac and cheese pans every Friday night, our home does not do mac and cheese. Although I love it as long as Processed cheeses are not involved!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's my plan! I will use the ideas everyone has given me and go from there. I do know that Betty Crocker's recipe is good but awfully bland...
Good but bland? Interesting description. I don't do bland myself. Methinks it's the lack of salt in your cooking that makes recipes taste bland. I understand why you don't use salt, but it really is indispensable for bringing out the flavor in food. Good luck with your quest.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Good but bland? Interesting description. I don't do bland myself. Methinks it's the lack of salt in your cooking that makes recipes taste bland. I understand why you don't use salt, but it really is indispensable for bringing out the flavor in food. Good luck with your quest.

I don't usually list salt in recipes, but I cook with it. Yes, I'm salt sensitive, but food would be horrid without it. I grew up on Betty Crocker, lots of good Scandinavian recipes in the old versions, and always make "her" rhubarb custard pie as it is marvelous. But I often find her sidedishes less inspiring, even though mom still swears by them.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #26
Senior Cook

I was watching Sara Moulton make Mac and Cheese the other day. She used whatever leftover cheeses in the fridge she had on hand. Blue cheese, gruyere, cheddar, parmesan. cottage cheese, swiss and others all mixed together. She said she gets a lot of compliments on an otherwise simple dish. Seems like they would be good with potatoes also. I know we have very little cheese leftovers in our house.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't usually list salt in recipes, but I cook with it. Yes, I'm salt sensitive, but food would be horrid without it. I grew up on Betty Crocker, lots of good Scandinavian recipes in the old versions, and always make "her" rhubarb custard pie as it is marvelous. But I often find her sidedishes less inspiring, even though mom still swears by them.
I just checked my recipe in my cookbook software and I guess I've "improved" on the original I actually use 1 cup of extra-sharp cheddar and 1 cup of mozzarella and reserve 1/4 cup of each to mix with bread crumbs and top the casserole. I do like the thyme idea; I'm going to try that next time.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Had to throw the last batch away. Too much Jarlsburg cheese, simply wasn't edible. Oh well, such is life.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
Master Chef

Personally, I think too much of any secondary ingredient can ruin a dish and that includes cheese in a potato dish. My recipe calls for a few ounces of Gruyere cheese, although you could add more if you wish. I call the dish scalloped potatoes, although some would argue the cheese makes it Au Gratin. Call it what you will, it's a very good recipe I'm happy to share again.
Perfect Scalloped Potatoes

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Personally, I think too much of any secondary ingredient can ruin a dish and that includes cheese in a potato dish. My recipe calls for a few ounces of Gruyere cheese, although you could add more if you wish. I call the dish scalloped potatoes, although some would argue the cheese makes it Au Gratin. Call it what you will, it's a very good recipe I'm happy to share again.
Perfect Scalloped Potatoes
I don't use cheese at all in my gratin dauphinois. And no béchamel sauce either, please. I use Elizabeth David's recipe which is just butter and garlic rubbed round the inside of a shallow dish, firm waxy potatoes (Yukon Gold?) very thinly sliced and layered in the dish, adding salt and pepper as you go to within 3/4 of an inch of the top of the dish then the cream poured over. I use 1lb or potatoes to 1/2 a pint of thick (heavy?) cream. OK, so the food police won't be happy but we aren't going to eat it every day.

Cook in a low oven (approx. 310F) for an hour and a half, raising the heat to fairly high for the last 10 minutes to get what Mrs D calls "a fine golden crust" on the potatoes.

Don't use King Edwards or any other type of potato which cooks to fluffiness when roasted or deep fried and your gratin will tend to go mushy and rather nasty.

If you MUST add cheese (and even ED conceded that Escoffier, among others, included cheese in gratin dauphinois) add it as you are layering the potatoes. Use whatever you like as long as it won't mask the flavour of the potatoes. And don't treat the gratin as a dustbin for every odd bit of dried up mousetrap cheese you can find lurking in the unexplored reaches of the 'fridge!

Tags
potatoes, recipe

Au Gratin Potatoes - the perfect recipe? I am on a mission to find/create a recipe for the perfect au gratin potatoes. I've spent 3 hours looking through recipes online. I will be trying out recipes all winter. I have warned my hubby of my quest. Eventually, I hope to create the perfect au gratin. I need recipes and suggestions to try. I know I want them über cheesy, slightly creamy, and above all I want a dish fit for the cooking gods! Your help is needed. Please help in this search. 3 stars 1 reviews