"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Personally, I think too much of any secondary ingredient can ruin a dish and that includes cheese in a potato dish. My recipe calls for a few ounces of Gruyere cheese, although you could add more if you wish. I call the dish scalloped potatoes, although some would argue the cheese makes it Au Gratin. Call it what you will, it's a very good recipe I'm happy to share again.
Perfect Scalloped Potatoes
No, cheese does not (necessarily) a gratin make. Something described as "au gratin" just means a dish in which an ingredient is topped with a browned crusty topping, which sometimes breadcrumbs and grated cheese may be used but they aren't essential.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
I was watching Sara Moulton make Mac and Cheese the other day. She used whatever leftover cheeses in the fridge she had on hand. Blue cheese, gruyere, cheddar, parmesan. cottage cheese, swiss and others all mixed together. She said she gets a lot of compliments on an otherwise simple dish. Seems like they would be good with potatoes also. I know we have very little cheese leftovers in our house.
"Blue cheese, gruyere, cheddar, parmesan. cottage cheese, swiss and others all mixed together" Hmm, a dustbin then.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't make scalloped potatoes very often (only when I have leftover ham). I make my scalloped potatoes the same way I make Jansson's Temptation. I don't recall the last time I made au gratin potatoes.

Janssons frestelse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whenever possible, I get pickled sprats in IKEA's food section and use those instead of anchovies. If I can't get pickled sprats, I rinse the anchovies very well under hot water and then put them in a sugar-vinegar brine for about 1/2 hour. Not nearly as good as the real thing...I also don't cut the potatoes as shoestring potatoes. And, I add a bit of roasted garlic with the onions (which I cook for about 5-8 minutes).

Mr. Janssen's Temptation Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Jansson's temptation Recipe | delicious. Magazine free recipes

I imagine one could leave out the anchovies and add some grated cheese. The anchovies melt so you don't really notice them. You could substitute sun-dried tomatoes for the anchovies--the tomatoes would lend a salty flavor and make this vegetarian.

I usually preheat the oven to 450, bake for 15 minutes at 450, and then drop the temp to 375, add more cream, and bake for another 45-60 minutes. If I add the breadcrumbs, I add the breadcrumbs about 15 minutes before the potatoes are done.

I check them and add more cream if necessary (I usually use more cream than either of those recipes use). These are really great the next day reheated. My friends in Stockholm would make a pan of these to serve to friends who came back to their apartments after a night out (nacht tisch). I make mine the way my friend in Stockholm made his. He usually didn't add breadcrumbs (and I often forget the crumbs). I love this dish. It is on my "comfort foods" list.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
Senior Cook

The right combo of cheese, onion and garlic is what I am trying to refine. I am also experimenting with potato cuts: sliced, sticks, cubes. I prefer a red potato with skins, although Yukon gold is nice, but the subtle buttery taste is lost with the cheeses etc. For zing I've experimented with minute amounts of worchetershire, soy, vinegars, etc. You all have given me lots of good ideas, now just to pull it all together!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Cheese doesn't last long enough in our fridge to get dusty in the bin or not. Big chunks, as in bricks, can turn into smaller chunks and then gets joined up with other smaller chunks and becomes an au gratin with potatoes and sometimes pasta.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

When I make scalloped potatoes I cut the potatoes on my mandolin, then put them in the baking dish and pour heavy cream over. Into the oven they go to bake while the potatoes absorb much of the cream and the natural starch on the potatoes thickens the remaining cream into a heavenly pure sauce. This is not a recipe I found anywhere, I just stumbled across it in my brain when I was first married and that was a long time ago. People swoon over this stuff. I'm wondering whether the sprinkled addition of some sharp cheese (just a little of it goes a long way) between the layers of potatoes would result in a good gratin. I don't usually put any topping on it, but doesn't it have to have a buttered and cheesed crumb topping in order to be called a gratin? That would be wonderful!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I've tried several recipes which use the cream. It's not result which I am seeking. I've got in mind seriously gooey extra sharp cheddar, garlickly crusty potatoes. Mild flavored heavy cream based sauces are not my thing. I like " in your face" rather than subtle flavors. I will hit on what I want eventually. Last time I used a white sauce base with sharp cheddar, a bit of Swiss, Parmesan and ( please don't laugh at this next ingredient) Velvetta. Used a half head of garlic and a bit of onion with tons of cracked black pepper. It was good, but still not perfect. I'm getting close though.

Tags
potatoes, recipe

Au Gratin Potatoes - the perfect recipe? I am on a mission to find/create a recipe for the perfect au gratin potatoes. I've spent 3 hours looking through recipes online. I will be trying out recipes all winter. I have warned my hubby of my quest. Eventually, I hope to create the perfect au gratin. I need recipes and suggestions to try. I know I want them über cheesy, slightly creamy, and above all I want a dish fit for the cooking gods! Your help is needed. Please help in this search. 3 stars 1 reviews