"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Au Gratin Potatoes - the perfect recipe?

I am on a mission to find/create a recipe for the perfect au gratin potatoes. I've spent 3 hours looking through recipes online. I will be trying out recipes all winter. I have warned my hubby of my quest. Eventually, I hope to create the perfect au gratin. I need recipes and suggestions to try. I know I want them über cheesy, slightly creamy, and above all I want a dish fit for the cooking gods! Your help is needed. Please help in this search.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you have a mandolin or a V-slicer? Evenly cut potatoes are a key to success with this recipe.

I use Betty Crocker's recipe: Cheesy au Gratin Potatoes. Love it. I usually add diced smoked ham and peas to it, to make it a meal.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yup! Overly stocked with appliances, I'm ready to try anything! Although I need a new deep fryer, a mortar and pestle, and a cheap grinder for outside horseradish grinding!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Time to think about the potatoes and cheese you want to use. Most recipes call for russet potatoes and sharp cheddar cheese. Russets will yield in a softer result than red or yukon golds. On the other hand, YGs or Reds will be firmer and hold their shape better.

Sharp cheddar can be replaced with Swiss or any other cheese or a blend of cheeses.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Are you looking to change the type of cheese used? Mrs Dawg has a recipe that uses Gruyere. I'll have to translate it (it's in either hers or her mothers handwriting) and post it for you.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

A mandolin to get even sliced potatoes is a very good start.

As for potatoes. I am a fan of reds - flavour and texture-wise they seem to work well.

The cheese has to be about what you like and what you can get hold of, but a good cheddar is perfect. Or a mix of hard cheeses. The higher fat content ones taste great but will mean you don't really want to be adding cream - otherwise you will get an oily "slick", which isn't too appetising. Better to add a small amount of vegetable stock to cook the potatoes. You don't need cream for "creamy"!

Personally, I like some onion in there too (finely sliced on the mandolin when you are doing the potatoes).

Best tip for this? Don't rush it. Cook it for ages - the potatoes will slowly absorb more and more flavour. (Cook it the day before you want it if you can.) When you think it is utterly soft - grate some cheese over the top and flash it under the grill or in the top shelf of the oven at a very high heat to brown it.

Lovely!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

KatyCooks suggested some cheese sprinkles over the top. Great idea.

When I make mac and cheese, I take some of the grated cheese and mix it with bread crumbs, then sprinkle over the top of the pan and then brown. A nice crispy topping.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Ok, I think I have this right.

1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1.5 lbs potatoes
1.75 cups minimum 35% cream
200 grams Gruyere, grated
1 tbsp thyme
salt
pepper
nutmeg

Heat the oven to 350
Smash the garlic and butter together and spread it all over the baking dish leaving the bits in.
Peal and slice the potatoes and rinse in cold water.
Mix the cream with half of the cheese and the thyme and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Layer the potato slices in the baking dish and pour the cheese mixture over.
Cover with the left over cheese and bake for about 45 minutes
Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I've never cooked with Guyere. I am not familiar with it as it is not easily found in our stores. I will have to lookit up and find a local (within 75 miles) source. Our stores carry the more prosaic cheeses. I'm a fan of super sharp cheddars and bleu cheeses. Can't find a decent havarti.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
I've never cooked with Guyere. I am not familiar with it as it is not easily found in our stores. I will have to lookit up and find a local (within 75 miles) source. Our stores carry the more prosaic cheeses. I'm a fan of super sharp cheddars and bleu cheeses. Can't find a decent havarti.
Neither Gruyere nor Havarti are super sharp cheeses or even sharp cheeses.

Tags
potatoes, recipe

Au Gratin Potatoes - the perfect recipe? I am on a mission to find/create a recipe for the perfect au gratin potatoes. I've spent 3 hours looking through recipes online. I will be trying out recipes all winter. I have warned my hubby of my quest. Eventually, I hope to create the perfect au gratin. I need recipes and suggestions to try. I know I want them über cheesy, slightly creamy, and above all I want a dish fit for the cooking gods! Your help is needed. Please help in this search. 3 stars 1 reviews