Baked Squash Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quizzie

Senior Cook
:chef: Looking for a rich recipe for "Baked yellow squash." The one that has bread crumbs for the topping. I tried one last night, Yuk:sick: Since I am not a quitter, I am willing to try it again.:( Can someone please help? My Grandma J. used to make a good one, kind of like a dressing.
THANKS QUIZZIE:)

Try this one...

My entire family loves this one. Try it out.

HOPKINS BOARDING HOUSE SQUASH CASSEROLE

3 lbs. yellow squash, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup cracker crumbs or cracker meal
1 tsp. salt

Cook squash, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well, and mash. Set aside. Sauté onion in butter until tender. Add onion, eggs, cracker crumbs, salt, and pepper to squash; stir well. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° F. for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Squash Casserole

Hi Quizzie: This one uses crushed ritz but I'll bet you could use bread crumbs just as well. . . . it's super simple.

Steam squash just until tender w/ small amt of water - drain well
1 cup chopped onion - saute' until clear
add 2 eggs, beaten
shredded cheese to taste
1 roll ritz crackers, crushed - save cup full for topping
melted butter to go on top of topping
Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes

AND there's this:

1 stick marg. - melted
2 c. cooked squash - drained
8 oz sour cream
1 can cr of chicken soup
1 Lg carrot, grated
1 Lg onion, grated
1 pkg peppridge Farm Dressing
salt & pepper to taste

Mix by hand - sprinkle dressing on top
Bake 350 for 30 min.

(I've never made this one but found it in my Mom's stuff. It's titled: Squash Casserole from Pat - Polly's Xmas '81) Sounds pretty rich to me. Do you think they just left out the cheese? - That would really make it good-

Good luck - Glenda:chef:

You know the one I made had cheese in the recipe( white cheddar cheese).
To me.. it made it to cheesy tasting. I should maybe leave the cheese out.

My husband just walked up to the computer and said " no baby.. please- no more squash casserole" That is too funny. Really, it wasn't all that bad.
ANYWAYS.... I will leave out the cheese. Both yoir recipes sound great.

here is mine t&t

you need
1lb squash sliced
1 onion sliced
4 pieces of bacon
3 cups cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
salt pepper
What to do:
cook squash,onion and bacon till squash is tender
add 2 cups cheese & bread crumbs& eggs
turn into a 2 quart baking dish
top with remaing cheese
bake in a 350 degree oven
for about 45 minutes.

*thank goodness for the edit button

Last edited:
Oh drool, I am going to have to try all of them out. So far my favorite way to fix yellow squash is cooking it in a frying pan with a little butter, onions and zuccini mixed in. Yummy and now I am going to have to go to the store. :)

My grandmother and her younger sister used to make this - and I never saw either one of them ever use a recipe or a cookbook ... so I had no handed-down recipes or cookbooks to go by when I tried to recreate this dish. This is as close as I can get to how I remember it tasting and what I remember watching them do when I was a kid some 40 years ago. (This also works well with eggplant.)

Nanny & Aunt Lois' Summer Squash Casserole

2 Cups cooked, drained, and mashed yellow crookneck squash
2 Cups Ritz Cracker (or Whole Wheat Bread) Crumbs
1 Cup Cream (or whole milk)
1 Cup shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup chopped onion
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
Pinch of sugar (about 1/4 teaspoon or less)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons Bacon drippings
3 Tablespoons Butter

Preheat oven to 350-F

Slice squash and cook (boil or steam) until just tender, drain well, mash, and drain again in strainer.

Heat bacon drippings in skillet and add squash. Cook until all water has been dried out. There should be no grease evident but plenty to season. Measure 2 cups of squash and reserve remainder for another use.

Melt butter in skillet and add onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is tender - do not brown butter or onion. Add milk and stir a few minutes to just warm the milk and combine with the onion and butter mixture. Remove from heat.

In mixing bowl combine squash, crumbs, and cheese. Add milk and onion mixture and combine well. Add salt and pepper and combine well - taste and adjust seasonings. Add eggs and combine well.

Place into a greased casserole (about 9x9).

May be topped with additional buttered crumbs if desired. Additional cheese is optional, also.

Bake 30 minutes covered until set. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or so until browned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom