Bott Boi (Amish Pot Pie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 whole 3 1/2 to 4 pound chicken
1 bunch celery, divided
3 teaspoons granulated chicken bouillon
2 (14-ounce) cans whole tomatoes,
roughly chopped and liquid reserved
3 to 5 small white potatoes cut into quarters (optional)
Pinch saffron threads
Bott Boi dough, recipe follows
Salt and pepper
Recipe
In a 6-quart stockpot, simmer chicken and half of the celery in 2 quarts of water for 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove meat from bones and set aside, discard bones. Add more water to the chicken broth to make about 3 1/2 quarts. Bring to a boil, add reserved tomato liquid, tomatoes, remaining celery, bouillon and saffron, then simmer. In a separate pot bring water to a boil, add potatoes, and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Drop bott boi squares into simmering broth and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the chicken meat back to the broth along with cooked potatoes, salt, and pepper, to taste. Cook until heated through. Serve hot.

Bott Boi Dough:
5 eggs
1/2 cup water
4 cups flour

Beat eggs and water together in a large bowl. Gradually add flour and continue to mix with a whisk until it begins to thicken then switch to a spatula and mix until a soft dough is formed. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the dough into 3 parts. Roll each part on a floured wooden surface in a rectangular shape as thin as you can. Use a wet towel underneath the board to keep it from slipping around. Add another cup of flour to the board if you needed Cut into 1-inch squares with a pastry wheel and drop into the boiling broth.

I grew up eating this stuff back in good old Pennsylvania Dutch country.

It is nothing short of fabulous. The term "comfort food" was coined for just this sort of dish.

Thanks for the memories.

I hope you all like it. Buck, I went to college in western PA and even though they didn't have a large Amish population then (I think it has grown as land prices in Lancaster County have priced farmers out of the market), there were always lots of good Amish eats to be found. I love this type of food too!

Thanks for the recipe - I have four or five Amish recipes in my favorite menu list and the family really likes them. This one I should try don't you agree? But saffron in an Amish recipe? I would never have thunk it. :) Of course being from the North Carolina hills....
Thanks again, David

Back
Top Bottom