Broccoli and Chicken Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
BROCCOLI AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE

8 Servings

8 cooked chicken breast halves
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg frozen broccoli -- cooked until just te
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups grated cheese
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 slices bacon -- cooked crisp and cru

Mix together soup, salt, pepper, lemon juice, 1 cup grated cheese and butter. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Layer chicken and broccoli in baking dish. Add sauce.

Top with bacon crumbles and bake at 350°F-180°C for 30 minutes.

Add remaining cheese and bake until cheese melts.

Kitchenelf,

Here is a version of your recipe that my mom used to make when I was a kid. It is still one of my favorites.

SC

Something Jerry Loves

2 packages frozen chopped broccoli, cooked
3-6 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or chopped
Cheddar cheese, shredded
½ - 1 cup bread crumbs
3 tablespoon butter, melted
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Mix together butter and bread crumbs. Butter or spray with cooking spray 13”x9” baking dish. Layer the ingredients in the following order: broccoli, chicken, soup mixture, cheese, and bread crumbs. Bake for 45 minutes at 350º.

Wish I liked broccoli. Otherwise, both of your recipes sound delish. Could I do peas or something else instead? (don't say asparagus)

mudbug said:
Wish I liked broccoli. Otherwise, both of your recipes sound delish. Could I do peas or something else instead? (don't say asparagus)

Mudbug,

How about cauliflower? That may work well. I don't think that peas would have enough substance. Plus the fact that I hate peas and I just cannot see them in this recipe. :LOL: But it is worth a shot if you want to try it.

SC :)

If I didn't have
1 can cream of chicken soup
how would I duplicate if I had chicken stock and dairy...

?roux plus half stock & half (pick one: whole milk - half 'n half - heavy cream)?

?skip roux?

?any other stuff (besides seasonings, of course) need to be added?

hmm - seems what I need is recipe for cream of chicken soup - tried searching Soups, Stews and Casseroles but nothing popped up.

TIA

Subfu - I do this all thei tme, 'cause I just don't like canned soups. Chicken stock, a little milk (3/4 cup stock to 1/4 cup milk); 2T flour, 2T butter; make a roux with the butter/flour, cook it just a minute or too, and add the stock/milk mixture, bring to a boil, boil til thick. If you think it needs more thickening, make a 'butterball' (can't remember the French name) of equal amounts of butter and flour, roll it into little balls, and add one or two at a time to the thickened mixture, at a boil, and boil another minute or two.

thanks mamalady

marmalady said:
Subfu - I do this all thei tme, 'cause I just don't like canned soups. Chicken stock, a little milk (3/4 cup stock to 1/4 cup milk); 2T flour, 2T butter; make a roux with the butter/flour, cook it just a minute or too, and add the stock/milk mixture, bring to a boil, boil til thick. If you think it needs more thickening, make a 'butterball' (can't remember the French name) of equal amounts of butter and flour, roll it into little balls, and add one or two at a time to the thickened mixture, at a boil, and boil another minute or two.

- wasn't sure of the proportions of stock:dairy. Guess I could substitute half and half for milk - I knew what you meant by "butterball" thingy. My freezer is small but I never let myself run out of homemade chicken stock - its so useful.

Sure you could sub out half and half for milk, but you reallly don't need to; it's such a small amount that the'creaminess' you're probably looking for would be hidden.

And I'm glad someone else understands my 'thingy' talk - DH teases me about my 'senior moments' all the time!

Back
Top Bottom