"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 09-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #11
Sous Chef

If I didn't have
Quote:
1 can cream of chicken soup
how would I duplicate if I had chicken stock and dairy...

?roux plus half stock & half (pick one: whole milk - half 'n half - heavy cream)?

?skip roux?

?any other stuff (besides seasonings, of course) need to be added?

hmm - seems what I need is recipe for cream of chicken soup - tried searching Soups, Stews and Casseroles but nothing popped up.

TIA

Old 10-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #12
Head Chef

All of these ideas sound wonderful... Mmmmmm

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Subfu - I do this all thei tme, 'cause I just don't like canned soups. Chicken stock, a little milk (3/4 cup stock to 1/4 cup milk); 2T flour, 2T butter; make a roux with the butter/flour, cook it just a minute or too, and add the stock/milk mixture, bring to a boil, boil til thick. If you think it needs more thickening, make a 'butterball' (can't remember the French name) of equal amounts of butter and flour, roll it into little balls, and add one or two at a time to the thickened mixture, at a boil, and boil another minute or two.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #14
Sous Chef

thanks mamalady

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Subfu - I do this all thei tme, 'cause I just don't like canned soups. Chicken stock, a little milk (3/4 cup stock to 1/4 cup milk); 2T flour, 2T butter; make a roux with the butter/flour, cook it just a minute or too, and add the stock/milk mixture, bring to a boil, boil til thick. If you think it needs more thickening, make a 'butterball' (can't remember the French name) of equal amounts of butter and flour, roll it into little balls, and add one or two at a time to the thickened mixture, at a boil, and boil another minute or two.
- wasn't sure of the proportions of stock:dairy. Guess I could substitute half and half for milk - I knew what you meant by "butterball" thingy. My freezer is small but I never let myself run out of homemade chicken stock - its so useful.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:59 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Sure you could sub out half and half for milk, but you reallly don't need to; it's such a small amount that the'creaminess' you're probably looking for would be hidden.

And I'm glad someone else understands my 'thingy' talk - DH teases me about my 'senior moments' all the time!

Tags
None