Cannellini beans in Sausage casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladybird

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone

I am going to make a saussage casserole to use up some sausages. I have a recipe which involves cooking the casserole at 150 degrees for an hour.

I would like to add tinned cannellini beans, but I don't know if I add them at the beginning, and cook them for an hour if they will turn to mush?

...and if so when should I add them?

Can anyone help?
Many thanks in advance

:-p

Does the recipe call for beans, or are you adding them as an "extra"? What are the other ingredients?

And are you sure you cook the casserole at "150 degrees"? Because that's not "cooking"; that's barely even warming. Heck, I don't think my oven even goes that low.

I'd add them at the beginning of the cooking process...

people who use the term, tinned, are usually not from the US, I think 150* may be celcius

Hi Breezycooking

Thanks for replying

I am adding the beans as extra and missing the leek because I don't like it.
I have used this recipe once before and it turned out nice. I have never used beans before though so I don't have a clue!

The ingrients are sausage, onion, carrot, leek which I am missing out, beef stock, red wine, rosemary, flour

I just checked it again and it is 150 degrees celsius, maybe you are thinking of fahrenheit which would be 302 degrees??

: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I still would not add canned (or tinned) beans to a casserole that's going to be baked for an hour without knowing what the other ingredients are. If the casserole has a lot of liquid or ingredients that will exude a lot of liquid, those beans will quite possibly be nothing but mush after an hour.

Hi bethzaring,

Thanks for replying

You're right it is celcius and you're right again.. I'm english.. I guess you say 'canned' maybe?

I will put them in at the beginning

Thanks again : )

Yup - I was thinking Fahrenheit. Twenty lashes for me on not picking up on the "tinned" reference - especially since I have a friend who lives in England - lol!!

That said, your idea of adding beans to this casserole is absolutely PERFECT!! However, I'd gently fold in the drained beans during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. That's all the "cooking" they'll need & will give them more than enough time to absorb the other flavors. Cannellini beans in particular have a very thin skin.

Do come back & let us know how it turned out. Sounds delicious.:chef:

I have mentioned the other ingredients in my last post... does this help?

ok thank you for your help, I'll give it a go..

Do come back & let us know how it turned out. Sounds delicious.
Do I just post another reply on this thread? Sorry I only joined a few hours ago!!

The canned beans won't get over-cooked in an hour...they'll just have time to absorb flavor, and oozing some of their juices is a good thing.
I use them in a bean casserole that I make, and that's about how long I cook it.

It's classic to add beans to a sausage casserole, those type of beans will absorb those lovely juices and taste super dupper!!! :)

Try this recipe for Italian sausage and beans:

SALSICCIA CON I FAGIOLI PICCANTI
(Sausage and Spicy Beans)
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 Italian sausage links
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (14½ oz) can of Italian Style diced tomatoes in juice
  • 2 dry red peppers or ¼ tsp of crushed red pepper (maybe less if you're really not into spicy!)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (15½ oz) can of Bush's Best cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
Directions:
Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to heat. Once hot, add the sausages and brown thoroughly on all sides. Remove the sausages to a plate and cover.
Add the garlic, and sauté one minute. With a wooden spoon, stir in the diced tomatoes. Crush the dried red peppers between your fingers and add, along with the bay leaves. Lower the flame, and cover the pan with a lid, simmer for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have broken down and thickened to a sauce-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the browned sausages and beans to the thickened tomatoes. Stir well and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the chopped parsley before serving.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:

(Sausage and Spicy Beans)

Ingredients:

[*]2 tablespoons olive oil
[*]4 Italian sausage links
[*]2 cloves garlic, chopped
[*]1 (14½ oz) can of Italian Style diced tomatoes in juice
[*]2 dry red peppers or ¼ tsp of crushed red pepper (maybe less if you're really not into spicy!)
[*]Salt and freshly ground black pepper
[*]1 (15½ oz) can of Bush's Best cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
[*]2 dried bay leaves
[*]1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped

Directions:
Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to heat. Once hot, add the sausages and brown thoroughly on all sides. Remove the sausages to a plate and cover.
Add the garlic, and sauté one minute. With a wooden spoon, stir in the diced tomatoes. Crush the dried red peppers between your fingers and add, along with the bay leaves. Lower the flame, and cover the pan with a lid, simmer for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have broken down and thickened to a sauce-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the browned sausages and beans to the thickened tomatoes. Stir well and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the chopped parsley before serving.

Mmmmm delicious!

(Sausage and Spicy Beans)​

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 Italian sausage links
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (14½ oz) can of Italian Style diced tomatoes in juice
  • 2 dry red peppers or ¼ tsp of crushed red pepper (maybe less if you're really not into spicy!)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (15½ oz) can of Bush's Best cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
Directions:

Thanks for this recipe. I just got delivery of dry cannellini beans bought on-line from Rancho Gordo (in CA, sells heirloom varieties of beans) and would love to try them out for this dish. A sub for the 15-1/2 oz. can would be, what, about 2 cups of cooked beans? As long as I cook the beans first and go from there, it should be fine, yes? :chef:

Back
Top Bottom