Casseroles.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
:chef:Your casseroles are so different to ours. Ours are more like Meat,Vegies,rice or pasta,stock,seasonings,garlic,if u want, a lot of herbs, and anything else u want all put into one pot, then cooked for hours on end, till it is so tender it falls apart on your fork. If anyone wants a recipie from Australia to try our casserole, I will gladley give u one, there are many out there, but Im sure I can come up with one or two of them, if u r interested.

Well, SURE!!

Please post a couple of your favorite casserole recipes from "down under"!

Lee

European casseroles seem different to the American ones on here, too. Much more the beef or chicken stew type of thing.

SW and Ishbel, please post away would love to try the recipes.

American casseroles are mainly designed as a convenience for the cook. Throw in a can of this, a can of that, some kind of starch (potatoes, rice or pasta), a little meat, a topping, and stick in the oven.
They are economical, as they make a little meat go a long way. There are fewer dishes to wash, and less preparation time is involved. Soups, stews and skillet dinners all require more attention...with a casserole, you just set the timer and forget it.
Casseroles are also a good way of sneaking vegetables in on your husband and kids. They just might eat some of that broccoli that's hanging out with all that cheese and pasta.

That being said, I can't stand a steady diet of them. Sometimes I want a piece of meat that I have to cut up and chew.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, Constance. I have always been puzzled to read a casserole thread on here which often is a side dish of vegetables or pasta or a mixture. This wikipedia entry (which I suspect was written by an American!) made sense of the 'differences' between European (and I include Australia/New Zealand/S.Africa in that term, for this purpose!) and US 'casseroles'. it would appear that things we call casseroles, would be called stews in the USA. Here a rule of thumb might be (although others won't agree) that if it's cooked on the top of the stove it's a stew, in the oven it's a casserole!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casserole

Ishbel said:
Thanks for the explanation, Constance. I have always been puzzled to read a casserole thread on here which often is a side dish of vegetables or pasta or a mixture. This wikipedia entry (which I suspect was written by an American!) made sense of the 'differences' between European (and I include Australia/New Zealand/S.Africa in that term, for this purpose!) and US 'casseroles'. it would appear that things we call casseroles, would be called stews in the USA. Here a rule of thumb might be (although others won't agree) that if it's cooked on the top of the stove it's a stew, in the oven it's a casserole!

!!??

While I know any number of differences in meaning between American English and U.K. English, this one's new to me! Your rule of thumb works for me, Ishbel.

I'm American and grew up in America.

I think that the overwhelming difference between Europe/Australia/N.Zeal. and the US is that in the US, casseroles are all about using processed foods. In Europe, the casseroles are all about using up fresh ingredients that you have left over from other meals. I rarely purchase ingredients to make a casserole. Sauces are freshly made from a simple roux plus herbs, spices and other fresh ingredients.

We don't eat processed foods, but we love casseroles. I get frustrated at the ingredient list that always begins with "a can of cream of mushroom soup". To me, that's not cooking. And when I post recipe requests and say, "Only fresh ingredients", I never get replies. It's frustrating.

I don't mean to be snarky or anything... just voicing my frustration at the lack of truly "scratch" casserole recipes that are out there.

velochic said:
I'm American and grew up in America.

I think that the overwhelming difference between Europe/Australia/N.Zeal. and the US is that in the US, casseroles are all about using processed foods. In Europe, the casseroles are all about using up fresh ingredients that you have left over from other meals. I rarely purchase ingredients to make a casserole. Sauces are freshly made from a simple roux plus herbs, spices and other fresh ingredients.

We don't eat processed foods, but we love casseroles. I get frustrated at the ingredient list that always begins with "a can of cream of mushroom soup". To me, that's not cooking. And when I post recipe requests and say, "Only fresh ingredients", I never get replies. It's frustrating.

I don't mean to be snarky or anything... just voicing my frustration at the lack of truly "scratch" casserole recipes that are out there.

Oh goody, let's nit-pick!

I'm American and grew up in America too, and I too have moved to Europe. My frustrations and prejudices are similar to yours. However, interestingly enough, while I'll immediately buy Ishbel's oven=casserole, stove-top=stew rule of thumb, you've complicated things by saying that casseroles are all about using up ingredients left over from other meals. Gee Velo, that's HASH! :rolleyes:

In all fairness, I have to admit a certain nostalgic fondness for things like my grandmother's goulash (egg noodles, ground beef, canned tomatoes in essence) and my mum's "tuna noodle" (again with the noodles yet, plus tuna obviously, plus traditionally, a can of cream of mushroom soup!). The latter I tried on my family here recently and my children just loved it. Mind you, not having such a thing as a can of cream of mushroom soup available (or if I could find it at the supermarket chances are good it would be dusty and expired) I made a nice mushroom-y mix of my own from the very pure, real ingredients you and I can find so easily and prefer.

My point? The casserole recipes themselves are worth holding on to, even if they're expressed in convenience-food terms for some of the ingredients. Make logical substitutions for those ingredients and chances are good you'll end up with a meal that's simple and straightforward and yummy and economical. All good things, no?

Ayrton said:
Oh goody, let's nit-pick!

My point? The casserole recipes themselves are worth holding on to, even if they're expressed in convenience-food terms for some of the ingredients. Make logical substitutions for those ingredients and chances are good you'll end up with a meal that's simple and straightforward and yummy and economical. All good things, no?
No. We do not eat processed foods. It's not all good. That's why I'm frustrated... too many recipes, too little time to figure out how to make them from non-processed foods.

I do make logical substitutions. I was just pointing out, per the nature of the thread, the differences between what I see as casseroles in the US and OUS. I don't nit-pick about the terminology. If you want to call it a hash, I'm all for it. :)

If you don't want to use "cream of" canned soups, make your own sauce.

For cream of mushroom, cream of celery or cream of onion, simply saute vegies in butter, add flour, and proceed as you would for white sauce.
For cream of chicken, use half chicken broth and half milk for liquid.

Constance said:
If you don't want to use "cream of" canned soups, make your own sauce.

For cream of mushroom, cream of celery or cream of onion, simply saute vegies in butter, add flour, and proceed as you would for white sauce.
For cream of chicken, use half chicken broth and half milk for liquid.

I do make my own sauce. It's usually pretty easy. Spice mixes are hard to come by, sometimes. But even Lipton's Onion Soup Mix has a "copy cat" recipe. It's just sometimes frustrating. Not here at DC, but elsewhere. :)

velochic said:
No. We do not eat processed foods. It's not all good. That's why I'm frustrated... too many recipes, too little time to figure out how to make them from non-processed foods.

I do make logical substitutions. I was just pointing out, per the nature of the thread, the differences between what I see as casseroles in the US and OUS. I don't nit-pick about the terminology. If you want to call it a hash, I'm all for it. :)
Oh dear Velo, you've misunderstood so my writing must not have been clear. I'm sorry. I meant that I was about to nit-pick, something I'm fond of! No criticism of you intended at all. Nor did I mean to suggest that processed food ("convenience food") was good. I also avoid it where ever possible as I consider it far from good. As for the terminology, I think we have some overlaps here. One could have a "hash casserole" I suppose, i.e. something made with leftovers ... but tucked in the oven?! Anyhow, no harm meant. Hope I haven't offended you.

Ayrton said:
Oh dear Velo, you've misunderstood so my writing must not have been clear. I'm sorry. I meant that I was about to nit-pick, something I'm fond of! No criticism of you intended at all. Nor did I mean to suggest that processed food ("convenience food") was good. I also avoid it where ever possible as I consider it far from good. As for the terminology, I think we have some overlaps here. One could have a "hash casserole" I suppose, i.e. something made with leftovers ... but tucked in the oven?! Anyhow, no harm meant. Hope I haven't offended you.
Of course you haven't offended me. I'm sorry my post implied that. :chef: I think I was the one that misunderstood.

It would be great if you would post some of your Casseroles for us to look at. I am sure that are very different and that is why I would love to see some receipes.

Hey ya'll. New here, though have been cooking for a long time. Dropping in to mention something that occurred to me years ago when developing a scratch version of tuna noodle casserole. If you think about it, it's just a variation on chicken tetrazzini. From there, it was pretty straighforward how to deconstruct the old convenience food version and build out a new scratch one. Did the same thing with the (in)famous green bean casserole, scratch versions of which seem to have become quite fashionable recently.

You know, when my grandma taught me how to make what we call a white sauce (bechamel sauce, cream sauce), she told me once I'd learned that skill, I could make all kinds of sauces and gravies.
She sure was right. Thank you, grandma.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom