"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Casseroles - how to adjust baking times or temps?

I am hoping that someone can help me with this. I am going to be baking the traditional green bean casserole as well as a casserole of stuffing for our Thanksgiving dinner. I am going to prepare these casseroles the day before and refridgerate them. When I take them out of the fridge to bake them, how do I adjust the baking time or temperature? I'm sure that there has to be some guideline for this. Thank you in advance...................4t9rs

4t9rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Master Chef
usually when I reheat a casserole I set the oven to 350 and cover it with foil..........usually baking for 30-45 minutes (dep. on the accuracy of your oven) is usually enough time...........take a sample from the middle and all the way to the bottom of the pan..........this will be the last area that warms up...........if it's nice and warm there it's done..........of course if your casserole is in a glass pan and is microwavable you can also microwave until warmed up........as far as microwaves go at normal settings the microwave (dep. on it's power wattage) will usually cut your cooking time by a quarter.......so if a normal recipe calls for the recipe to be in the oven for 20 minutes a microwave will cook it in about 5 but always check it out after a minute or two just to be sure......recipes with a high fat content (like cheese) will cook faster.......just a real general rule of thumb.......once you've nuked a few things and ordered takeout you will get a better feel for your microwave.........please give yourself a pat on the back429ers for even trying.........as my wise mother in law who was a terrific cook and baker would say.........no one sees what the cook throws away in the garbage if they are in the kitchen alone:):):)
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote