Chicken and Stuffing Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
This is a requested recipe using a combination of leftovers.
# of servings. One . With repeats and enough to share. It’s supposed to be a Small casserole, somehow, it grows on itself. I think the best ratio is 1 part chicken/ veggie/sausage mix to bread cubes. Somehow mine usually seems to be 2 parts stuffing to one. Either way, it comes out tasting good and your kitchen smells nice while it bakes.

Leftover cooked chicken or turkey, at least 2 cups. I have a half breast, 2 thighs and some trimmings. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside.
1-2 celery ribs, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 apple peeled and diced
¾- 1 package bulk sausage
Packaged herb and onion style bread stuffing mix
Herbs: I put in at least a tsp of crumbled dry garden sage, it’s still pretty fragrant. A little thyme, snipped parsley, pepper. There is plenty of salt already.
( ½ stick or so) Butter
Canned chicken broth, about 16- 18 oz, more or less as needed.
Gravy to top
Optional ingredients I have used other times. Snipped rosemary, One orange zest, plus the juice. Lemon zest, garlic, Dried cranberries

Directions:
Slice and dice. Put the veggies in a sauté pan with the sausage. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon and stir fry. I added the apple today too, as I wanted it to soften a bit.

Put about a half package dressing mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken. Toss to loosely distribute. Add the sausage, veggies and herbs.

In the sauté pan, melt about a half stick butter. t. Pour over and mix again. Then pour in chicken broth to moisten to your liking. Deglaze the pan with a splash of wine. I didn’t have any today. Put in a 2 or even 3 quart casserole. Loosely, don’t pack it.

Bake 350 F 20 minutes. Spoon gravy across the top and bake another 10 minutes. Or heat gravy in a separate pan and serve on top. Serve with cranberry sauce on the side. It’s like a holiday meal in one.

Last edited:
I must not have made this since last year. I forgot. It makes a lot. I used just a little over a half package of stuffing croutons, which is the bulk of the casserole. I used a deep dish 9 x13 pan. I did not have anyone for dinner to share. Now after several servings, I think I will soon find out how well it freezes in smaller portions. It does re-heat easily in the microwave. Right now, I have run out of gravy to top the remainder. I think it is a hearty tasting dish that reminds of a holiday meal in every bite.

Back
Top Bottom