Corned beef casserole * funny story + recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So last week, we packed up and headed south (unfortunately we had to come home) we went for a memorial/reunion/St.Pats party. We visited the family that had passed, we went in a giant caravan of cars and dragged the whole family from stone to stone and laughed and told stories and cried. Afterwards in good Irish tradition, we went and ate and drank the rest of the day and night away...

This was also the first time my family had met my honey. The pickiest human on the planet. This is a lady who will try things only if pressured, and impressing the family is a TON of pressure. So everyone of course brought their specialties to the party and as we all know, this invariably includes a casserole or two. Now the fun... My love does not like her food touching, or mixed together in any way shape or form. I've threatened to buy her those divided plates before. So when she found herself face to face with a corned beef casserole to the front, and my family at her back, she caved. heh heh heh. I watched her hesitantly take a fair sized scoop and put it on her plate. then I watched her take a small fork full and try it. Oddly enough, she loved it. Even asked for the recipe. I figured most of it was manners and obligation, but I was wrong. We went shopping yesterday, and she rounded up the ingredients. As we gathered the potatoes and carrots and such, she looked down the list and informed me that we needed a can of corned beef. I've seen them, and tasted them, but she had not. When we found them i the section with the rest of the devilled meats and potted meats, I took one look at her face and thought her resolve had broken. She was white as a ghost and muttered something about that "not being what she expected" but she pressed on. Now I'm home getting instructional emails for the prep. lol. You never know about some people :LOL:

So here it is. The magical casserole that satisfied the pickiest of people.

Cousin Heidi's Corned Beef Casserole

Preheat your oven to 375F

2-3 medium potatos cubed
2-3 carrots sliced
1 medium onion diced
1 head shredded cabbage
1 can corned beef shredded
1 can mushroom soup
Cheese of choice shredded

In a 13x9 inch pan, layer potatoes, carrots, onions, shredded cabbage, a can of corned beef, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Bake it at 375 for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Remove it. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake again until all the cheese is melted and then serve...
:chef:Ummm!!! I have to ask this question, "What is canned Corned Beef", I have never heard of it, In Australia we only cook REAL CORNED BEEF!!! We either cook it in the crock pot/slow cooker, or simmer it on the stove top, for a few hours until done,with all the aromeatics, I always buy a big 2-2 1/2 kilo piece of corned meat,like a large roast, and cook it that way,I only seen a thread on here the other day about baking it in the oven, that sounds good,so I am going to try it next time I buy a corned beef. To me ( and Im sorry for this, dont take offence ), but canned corned meat sounds like something I feed my cats, you know, canned cat food, Why not cook your beautiful casserole with real meat, not artificial stuff, Your casserole sounds great, but at least you can do is use real meat, I can understand that your wife has food issues, But there are some things I would not dare comprimise on, and replacing canned meats for real is one of them. Sorry, its just my opinion, I dont mean to hurt anyones feelings, I just dont understand how anyone could do that.:ohmy:
Canned meats is what I would take camping though, as you dont have to worry about your meat going off, as you may not have a fridge to keep things cold in, now I know my parents did this when we were kids and went camping, Its different, but at least we didnt get sick, That would be the only time though.

Last edited:
Yep. then take what you made, and cram as much in a can as possible after grinding it nearly into a paste, and pack it with some mystery gel and way too much salt, and there you go. :LOL: I've been looking for a good corned beef recipe too...feel free to share ;) The canned stuff is what my cousin said she used, so we're gonna start there, and adjust the recipe as we go...

So what if I'm picky? I've tried a lot more lately (sometimes against my will). I have my hang ups, I'll admit. (Fmom, I'm with you on the no gravy on mashed potatoes and the sauces mixing making things change taste) But I'm getting better. Ask him how much he's MADE me try. Like nasty lambic beers and some other things. This is how it works with me: If I like it separately, and you mix it together in a casserole, if it looks appetizing, I MIGHT consider it. But there are some things that I can't even stand about myself. Hate beans (unless green or jelly belly) and peas. I like celery, but it has to be raw, not cooked. And ketchup? Only on meatloaf or fish sticks. I will only eat mustard if it is mixed in my own home made potato salad (i even trim the edges from ham when it's on the skin). There are so many more qualifiers (I'd write for 3 days or betters if I had to list them all), but I AM getting better.
You sound completely normal to me, meshoo!:)

Okay meshoo and SixSix, it is a delight to see you banter back and forth! But maybe you both have to look a things a little differently.

SixSix, you are hung up on the word "except", so think of it this way. She WILL eat celery if it is raw. She IS making you this wonderful casserole! She DOES try something new once in awhile. Oh, and you are lucky she likes green beans - my DH can spot them a mile away in ANYTHING! He can even tell that something has been cooked with them in it even if I don't put any on his plate (seriously)!

Meeshoo, for you, what IS better than green beans or Jelly Belly's! I agree wholeheartedly on the ketchup thing (except I don't like fish sticks so that one is moot), and you have someone who loves you enough to worry that you are eating right :LOL:.

I am sure glad my DH isn't on DC, I wouldn't have half as much fun!:innocent:

Oh, and you are lucky she likes green beans - my DH can spot them a mile away in ANYTHING!

... and you have someone who loves you enough to worry that you are eating right :LOL:.

Thank you very much!!! I am like your DH when it comes to peas. I despise them and can taste them a mile a way. As far as being lucky...you'd better believe it. I am one of the luckiest people I know when it comes to finding six...I only wish I could get that lucky when it came to the lottery...LOL

Meshoo, nothing wrong with food not touching, I am a lover of a nice separated plate myself.....
I'm curious as to your reaction when OPENING said can on corned beef.....
I liken it to dog food.... same as refried beans. I cannot open those cans for the life of me, have to have someone else do it!

Gross. I could barf just THINKING about opening those cans......

Meshoo, nothing wrong with food not touching, I am a lover of a nice separated plate myself.....
I'm curious as to your reaction when OPENING said can on corned beef.....
I liken it to dog food.... same as refried beans. I cannot open those cans for the life of me, have to have someone else do it!

DH watched the garbage like a hawk thinking I was going to toss it. He couldn't believe I was actually going to do it. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but it really made me think about it twice.

images
Sure looks like yummy stuff, needs lots of tomato ketchup/sauce, it looks like an interesting recipe though. It has that sort of -- eh -- smell to it when you open the can :rolleyes:

how did the recipe turn out attie?
I was considering using the real deal (real corned beef) but thought I might try it 'as is' first...
I didn't make it Shani but I reckon I could eat it :)
" 2-3 medium potatos cubed
2-3 carrots sliced
1 medium onion diced
1 head shredded cabbage
1 can corned beef shredded
1 can mushroom soup
Cheese of choice shredded"

We make something similar but sub the corned beef with mince and no cheese and add Soy Sauce for flavour. Cook it in a slow cooker.

Spiritwolf, canned corn beef doesn't taste like fresh corn beef. I have seen 2 types, one made in Argentina and the type we find in the USA. Quite frankly it does look a lot like dog food from a can, but really tastes preaty good. To me the taste is canned corn beef, nothing taste like it, just like spam is spam. The Argentina type if I remember right is more stringy and beef tasting. I haven't had it in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom