"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 06-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Master Chef
Dorothy Jean's Chicken Casserole

Dorothy Jean was my husband's ex-MIL...she had also been a friend of mine for years, and gave me this recipe because, she said, "My daughter will never take time to make it."
I use this as my holiday dressing recipe to go with turkey or ham. It's also great with a mess of green beans and my chicken and rolled dumplings, and I can use some of the chicken I boiled for the dumpling broth in the casserole.

2 boxes chicken flavor instant stuffing mix
1-1/2 stick butter, melted, divided
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
4-6 cloves minced garlic, or 1 tbl jarred minced garlic
approx. 1 cup mayonaisse (NOT salad dressing)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
3 eggs
1 cup milk

Directions: In medium bowl, mix together stuffing mix, 1 stick melted butter and chicken broth. Put half this mixture in buttered casserole (I use small or medium old speckled porcelain covered steel roaster) and set aside. Microwave or saute celery, onions and garlic in remaining butter (may substitute olive oil or bacon grease) until onions are translucent and celery is tender. Spread on top of stuffing mixture in casserole. Next, add a layer of chicken or turkey. At this point, you may add whole or chopped oysters, sauteed mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked sausage...whatever your heart desires. Spread a layer of mayo over the top, making sure to cover completely. Top with remaining stuffing mixture. Beat eggs in milk, and pour slowly over top. You may have to stab with a knife a few times to help milk mixture soak in. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn heat down to 350, and bake about another 60 minutes, or until bubbling and crusty on top and bottom.

*Note: the original recipe calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup to be spread over the top right before baking, but I like it better without...love that crispy crust!

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Head Chef
I love dishes like this. Thanks for the recipe.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
This looks like it would be good for one of my dine and dash days. Thanks!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote