Eggplant Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
EGGPLANT LASAGNA
MEAT SAUCE
1/3# hamburger
1/3# ground sausage
1/2 can spaghetti sauce

Seasonings:
Adobo (unsalted)
Cumin
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Parsley flakes
Garlic powder
Red pepper flakes
Cayenne
Dried minced onions

Instead of noodles:
1 small eggplant sliced 1/4”, seasoned with seasoned salt and Italian seasoning, baked 350° 20 minutes per side.

Cheeses:
2 oz. cream cheese sliced and dotted over eggplant layers
2 TBS. leftover Gorgonzola crumbles split between layers
Shredded mozzarella

Layer sauce, eggplant slices, cheeses, meat sauce, repeat, ending with cheeses.

Cover and bake 350° 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until cheeses are lightly browned. Let set a minimum of 15 minutes before serving.

You had me at adobo. :) Sounds really good, Zhizara. I take it the seasonings are to taste and can be adjusted accordingly. Good herb and spice blend!

Thank you for sharing this. :yum:

i really like the idea of using eggplant as the pasta in lasagna. i think my family would eat it like there's no tomorrow.

i'm unfamiliar with adobo except those jars from goya in the supermarket that i've thought were largely msg, garlic powder, and salt. can you make your own adobo, or can you recommend a favourite brand, zhi?

tia. :chef:

i really like the idea of using eggplant as the pasta in lasagna. i think my family would eat it like there's no tomorrow.

i'm unfamiliar with adobo except those jars from goya in the supermarket that i've thought were largely msg, garlic powder, and salt. can you make your own adobo, or can you recommend a favourite brand, zhi?

Here's the one I use BT, only I cut the salt in half.

Traci's Adobo Seasoning Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Zhizara, Buonasera,

Sounds like quite an interesting modernization and twist on the traditional I am very accustomed to ...

My Grandmom used to prepare Melanzane di Lecce ( Lecce is in southern Puglia) for me all the time while at University in the 1980s. The eggplant was the key ingredient instead of the Lasagne Sheets ...

The traditional recipe is in either the Eggplant Section or the Ethnic Section ...

Enjoy ... Have a lovely Sunday.
Ciao, Margi.

Thanks, everyone. It was really, really nice.

The cottage cheese I planned to use instead of ricotta had gone bad, so I substituted the bits of cream cheese and gorgonzona. Delicious!

I had kept seeing adobo in the grocery store, so I wanted to try it. The store version is salted, so I got some from Penzey's (unsalted) and am still trying it out. Pretty good stuff.

When getting ready to make this, I copied a couple of recipes from DC to inspire me, one of them being MsMofet's Eggplant Parmesan. I liked her list of spices which included adobo, and I was very happy with the results.

The only thing I would change is to cook the eggplant slices just a little bit more. Some parts were a little bit chewy, but still really good.

Last edited:
Zhizara,

Home made or store bought Ricotta shall work nicely too ...

I love Gorgonzola ... The sweet variety and the aged type.

Do you know how to prepare Adobe Marinade home made ?

Let me know, if you would like my traditional Spanish recipe, I shall post it during the week. It is very common in Spain, and there is a famous tapa here called Pescado en Adobe, Fish in Adobe Marinade and then it is dredged and fried ... Very nice.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Thanks, Margi, but I only cook for myself. It's much easier for me to buy a jar of sauce and jazz it up than to make my own. Making my own ends up being too much for me to store.

I'll be looking forward to your recipe, though, for ideas to jazz up the commercial stuff.

Zhizara,

Home made or store bought Ricotta shall work nicely too ...

I love Gorgonzola ... The sweet variety and the aged type.

Do you know how to prepare Adobe Marinade home made ?

Let me know, if you would like my traditional Spanish recipe, I shall post it during the week. It is very common in Spain, and there is a famous tapa here called Pescado en Adobe, Fish in Adobe Marinade and then it is dredged and fried ... Very nice.

Kind regards.
Margi.
I would love to have that recipe. I've seen adobo seasoning in packages and really didn't like some the weird stuff in the ingredient list.

I've been wanting to try adobo for awhile, but when I checked the container at the grocery store, the first ingredient was salt, which I'm trying to avoid.

Penzey's adobo has no salt, so I bought a small jar. I'm still trying it out, but like it so far. (Nice on eggs instead of salt.)

Tax Lady:

Bon Giorno Linda,

I would be more than pleased to post the homemade Adobo Marinade for you, however, I am leaving for Puglia on Friday morning ... and have two million chores and errands to take care of ...

At the weekend, I shall locate the recipe and send you a PM as to the Posting of the Marinade ...

Please note; I may have already posted it on: SPANISH ADOBE FISH

Do pull up my archive of posts, and see ...

Off the top it has: La Vera Smoked Cayenne Paprika from Spain called Pimentón Dulce ( sweet cayenne), Evoo, A bit of Sherry Vinegar, salt, black pepper freshly grounded, Cumin, spices and herbs ...

It provides a wonderful fragrant aroma and I only marinate a few minutes, less than 20 mins.

I shall be in touch over wkend. with the recipe.

Kind regards,
Margi.

Sprout was telling me just last night that the restaurant she worked in, in Maryland, made a tremendous egg-plant lasagna. She stated that she never met anyone that didn't love it, and wants to make it the next time we visit. She said that even people who didn't normay like eggplant love the stuff. As I understand it, the eggplant was jelly-rolled around the fillings. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I might just have to use the op's recipe. Thanks, Zhizara.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks, Chief. I hope you'll make sure we get the recipe for this jelly roll version. Sounds interesting.

actually, eggplant rolled around a ricotta mixture and baked in a casserole with sauce and cheese is called eggplant rolatini. another fave.

Just as a footnote, I froze a couple of servings, and noticed that when they were reheated, the flavor of the eggplant was intensified. Super Yum!

I'm making this again tomorrow, but I'll do it earlier in the day, so I can let it sit in the refrigerator all day to let the flavors build, then reheat in the microwave for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom