"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 08-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Master Chef
Food for Picky Kids

A friend of mine is having company this weekend, and her guests have 3 young children who are picky eaters. I suggested this casserole to her, as it has everything kids like.

Tater Tot Casserole

2 pounds ground chuck
1 can green beans -- drained
1 bag tater tots
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pound velveeta cheese -- sliced
onion salt, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375F.

Brown ground chuck, add salt & pepper, minced garlic and onion salt to taste. Drain. Pour into 9x14" baking dish.
Mix in soup and green beans. Spread evenly over meat mixture.
Cover with velveeta slices and top with tater tots. (Arrange in rows for a
nice look).

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or unil bubbly.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Executive Chef
What is (or should that be are!) Tater Tots? I think there is a new(ish) member who has that screen name. I wondered what it meant!

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Tater tots are nuggets of deep fried compressed potato bits.

Constance, the green beans are a no go in my house. But the rest looks kid friendly, thanks!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Master Chef
Maybe I was a strange kid as I liked everything. But even picky kids I knew liked pork & beans. And most loved baked beans, expecially when sweetened with either brown sugar or maple syrup.

And veggies that can be made into desserts are favorites as well.

Try making individual fruit pies with fresh fruit and whole wheat flour. Use Sunflower oil for the fat in the pie dough.

Cheese macaroni made with sharp cheddar cheese, milk, and whole wheat elbow macoroni, or shells is another favorite.

Pigs-in-the-blankets, whole hot dogs or sausages wrapped with a soft whole wheat bread dough and baked until golden brown.

Pizza with plenty of flavorful sauce, lean ham strips, pineapple, and any veggies you can throw in. Or make lean homemade itallian sausage, replacing the pork fat with reconstitued TVP granules. Trow on a bit of EVOO for flavor and top with jsut enough cheese to know its there. Cook over charcoal, with just a stick of hardwood to provide a hint of smokey flavorand all on a whole wheat crust.

I'm a firm believer that kid-approved food can be gourmet when a little effort is thrown into the recipe. After all, the love of good and healthy food is a learned thing for most people. And if we don't teach it, then our children will be just another generation of unhealthy fast-food addicts.

Hide carrots in carrot cake. Put winter squash and pumpkins into pumpkin pies and puddings. Just replace the sugar with Splenda. I like to bake acorn squash after cuttin a whole in the top, like when making jack-o-lanterns from pumpkins, removing the seeds, and coating the inside flesh with a mixture of Splenda, mollases, ginger, and nutmeg, all mixed together. I've even bought the miniature pumpkins and done this after carving a jack-o-lantern face on them, and serving them up on Holloween.

Most everyone likes soups, and they are so healthy, especially the brothy ones.

In the workds of some guy I don't know, YOU CAN DO IT!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook
My kids had friends visiting all the time who were very picky eaters, so I always kept peanut butter on hand, great on toast or soda crackers when they did not want what was being served. They never went hungry and I did not cater to their whims.

Yes, as was stated already, home-made mac and cheese was always a favourite with any child coming to visit, be it for a few hours or a few days.

My girls soon learned to whip up grilled cheese sandwiches for their friends, as well as scrambled egg sandwiches.

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef
My son's kids are very picky - but as they grow up, they seem to eat quite well. The baby almost two will eat baloney at most any meal, the 5 year old will eat peanut butter sandwiches - but no crusts on the bread and the 3 year old will eat cereal at any meal. My dil is into cooking and canning so I suppose she will put an end to their picky eating shortly. I never made special meals for my kids but do remember them going thru stages of being a little persnickety.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I've never met a kid who wouldn't eat fish sticks.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Head Chef
I'm pretty luck, my stepson eats anything I make. Some things he likes more than others. When I first met him, he hardly ever ate anything green or any fruit. Now he'll ask for seconds on veggies. Even going as far as saying he likes spinach pizza. I use TJs almost whole wheat crust and go easy on the cheese, a little heavy on the spinach, add a side salad of field greens to make a kid-mom happy meal.

Oh, I learned to make something called Tater Tots Togo, that was similar, though it just had tots, ground meat (plus seasoning) and cream of mushroom. I have to admit, I LOVE this stuff. Though dont eat it very often.
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Originally Posted by mudbug
I know 2 that I will introduce you to mudbug! They won't even eat chicken nuggets/fingers.One of nephews told me the other day that bananas, apples, & all other fruits are evil. It drives me nuts but there's nt a thing I can do about it. I'm lucky that my kids will at least try new foods & I don't have to fight with them to get them to eat. Savannah had a bowl of bleu cheese stuffed black olives for a snack after school today & she choose that over brownies.
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by mudbug
My brother wouldn't. When he was a kid he would not touch fish at all. When asked why he didn't like fish he said that he did not want to eat anything that lived in the same water it pooped in

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote