Freezing casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red's Kitchen

Assistant Cook
I'm making a sweet potatoe casserole for Thanksgiving with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, a little salt 'n pepper and, of course, slices of sweet potatoes. Can I safely freeze this until two days before Thanksgiving and then bake it? Or should I bake it first and then freeze it? The potatoes are already cooked. We're having 15 people with a 27 pound turkey so not lots of extra time. Everyone brings their specialty and they want my sweet potatoes, every year!! What do you think? Thanks and a very Happy Thanksgiving.

most likely safe either way -but I'd go for a fully cooked then frozen version.

reduces the "crunch time" factor to thaw/reheating only . . .

when reheating precooked there's a question of "is it hot yet?"

but "cooking" it from frozen raises the issue "is it done yet?"

as the sweet potato / yam is already cooked prior to assembly, that's less important, but my bet is the pre-cooked route will allow the flavors to mingle better.

don't see why you couldn't freeze it uncooked. if the potatoes are cooked, that is all that has to be cooked. the butter etc would just stay the same. same applies to whether or not you call it reheat for cooking. in this casserole , each would be the correct answer.

generally i mix it all up , potatoes cooked, the day before and pop in the fridge. unless space is to critical in the fridge. mine recipe very much like yours.

I know it is too late (way too late) for Thanksgiving, but it applies to most casseroles. A really good hint is to warm a casserole in the microwave oven until it is as hot as you want it to be, put any toppings that need to be browned or become crunchy on top, then pop in a HOT oven (425 or more, or even broil) and keep an eye on it until browned. This saves your oven space for the long cooking items (birds or roasts) and items that have to be in a real oven (rolls, garlic bread) and only leaves you a couple of minutes of real cooking, since you've done the advance work a few days ago. Works a real charm with vegetable casserole sides.

Back
Top Bottom