Hamburger Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy

Senior Cook
Hamburger Casserole:

1 lb. hamburger
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
Chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups milk
2 cups uncooked noodles.
Potato chips

Brown hamburger and rest of ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Combine 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 2 cups milk. Then add 2 cups uncooked noodles. Turn into a buttered casserole and cover with crushed potato chips. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, covered.

Last edited:
Brrrrrrrr I don't think I could stummock a hamburger casserole!

There's no need to post that. Not every recipe appeals to every person.

Roxy, we're not big green pepper fans here, do you think I could either omit it entirely or use a red or orange pepper?

There's no need to post that. Not every recipe appeals to every person.

Roxy, we're not big green pepper fans here, do you think I could either omit it entirely or use a red or orange pepper?

Alix, I agree. We don't all like the same things. I see many recipes that aren't my favorites (not just here, but many places). I would think any other peppers would work.

Roxy, I hope you find many good things to eat here and you will love the people - always helpful and friendly.

Roxy - that recipe reminds me a lot of the good old tuna hot dish we used to carry to every potluck dinner. Love it. I never thought of using hamburger. That sounds like a winner, too. Thanks.

Hamburger Casserole:

1 lb. hamburger
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
Chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups milk
2 cups uncooked noodles.
Potato chips

Brown hamburger and rest of ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Combine 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 2 cups milk. Then add 2 cups uncooked noodles. Turn into a buttered casserole and cover with crushed potato chips. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, covered.

:flowers:Thanks for posting this Dh will love it.

Josie

Roxy said:
Hamburger Casserole:

1 lb. hamburger
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
Chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups milk
2 cups uncooked noodles.
Potato chips

I have made variations of this for years (depending on what was on hand) and it was always yummy! Hadn't put the peppers in, will def try that! Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes..you could omit the green pepper or use what peppers you would like.

I used to belong to a professional chef's message board until the owner and his wife decided to turn it into a blog instead. We used to have some pretty interesting challenges among ourselves. I once challenged the group to come up with an ingredient I couldn't make sexy or erotic. One woman insisted I couldn't make pork sexy, stating that pigs were disgusting because they consume where they defecate and they engage in sexual intercourse with close relatives, so I thinly sliced some Prosciutto, wrapped it around melon balls and used a serving fork to place one on my lover's tongue while sitting in a cafe high on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean, describing how the salty essence of the prosciutto blended with the sweetness of the melon to excite her taste buds. I was finally defeated by a woman who offered up those little sausages in a jar. I could not find anything sexy to do with those. Perverted, yes. Erotic, yes. But not sexy.

The reason I bring this up is that we were discussing casseroles and one challenge consisted of taking a simple everyday staple dish and prepare it in the most labour intensive manner, using the most expensive ingredients possible. You know, sort of like Emeril LaGasbag making green bean casserole with homemade wild mushroom soup and hand cut onion rings dredged in flour and Essence. The following was my contribution, sort of a kicked up Tuna Noodle Casserole:

NEW AGE TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
Ingredients:

• ½ cup soy sauce
  • ½ cup dry sherry
  • ½ cup sesame oil
  • ½ cup ginger, grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
  • 1 tsp grey sea salt
  • ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lb Sashimi grade Ahi tuna
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • 2 quarts chicken stock
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • ½ cup celery, chopped
  • 1 shallot, diced
  • 1 ½ cups haricot verts
  • 1 clove of garlic, peeled
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup camembert cheese, diced
  • 4 ounces dry white wine
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
  • ¼ cup carrot, diced small
  • ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small
Directions:

Combine first seven ingredients (through black pepper) and marinate tuna for one hour. Remove tuna from marinade and discard marinade. Place tuna in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes or until tuna flakes easily with a fork. Flake the tuna and put aside.

Beat eggs until frothy. Combine flour, kosher salt, and eggs to form a dough. Knead dough until smooth. Turn dough onto a floured cutting board and roll dough, turning often, until thin. Let dough dry 45 minutes, then turn and dry another half hour. Cut dried dough into noodles. Drop noodles into boiling chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and put aside.

Sauté celery and shallot in 2 Tbs butter and put aside. Place 1 ½ cups haricot verts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then into ice bath. Combine tuna, noodles, celery and shallots in a bowl.

Finely chop garlic and combine with salt. Place the egg yolk and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add olive oil as you continue to whisk. Once you've blended in all the olive oil, add the garlic lemon, and thyme. Add the sour cream, gruyere cheese, camembert cheese, white wine, and nutmeg, then fold in the tuna, noodle, celery and shallot mixture.

Spoon all ingredients into a buttered 4 quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with scallion, carrot, and bell pepper.

BTW, if you're wondering about addition of the haricot vert, the lady with the jarred sausages said she didn't like peas in her tuna noodle casserole!

Where I grew up ground beef was often used in hotdishes (we call casseroles hotdishes where I grew up--this is regional and evident in church cookbooks and local cookbooks). One of my favorites was with wild rice, ground beef, and broccoli. Nothing wrong with ground beef in a hotdish, um, casserole.

Where I grew up ground beef was often used in hotdishes (we call casseroles hotdishes where I grew up--this is regional and evident in church cookbooks and local cookbooks). One of my favorites was with wild rice, ground beef, and broccoli. Nothing wrong with ground beef in a hotdish, um, casserole.

Friend of mine was transferred to Minnesota by her employer. Every time someone invited her to a party they'd ask her to bring a hot dish. She'd reply "I AM a hot dish!"

Yup--that would be MN (although I think ND and western WI also use the word hotdish). It has its roots in the Luthern Church suppers...if I remember correctly.

Casseroles are fancy hotdishes that you aren't embarassed to serve when you have company.

Last edited:
Hotdish! A new one for me. I'd never heard it and wouldn't have known what it meant either. I suppose I'm an older hotdish!

Brrrrrrrr I don't think I could stummock a hamburger casserole!

The recipe reminds me of the proverbial, church potluck "Tuna Noodle Casserole" except with ground beef instead of tuna.

I Like tuna noodle casserole! :chef:

Warning--I'm a linguist by training, I'm going to take a guess at this, but when the Scandinavian immigrants moved to the area and attended church suppers (or a barn raising), there probably was a table set up with the cold dishes (like a smorgasbord) and one with hot dishes and one with desserts. So when they would translate what the recipe might be in English, they would tack on "hot dish" (potato and ham hot dish) because their English may not have included the word casserole (which comes from French and was for the pan, and evolved during the 1950s to mean the dish cooked in the pan, whereas I have cookbooks from my grandmother with recipes for hotdishes). That's my guess on how hotdish becaume a word and became part of the regional dialect. It isn't often I get to "talk" about food and etymology in the same post <g>.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom