Hamburger Hot Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgoogle

Assistant Cook
Hamburger Hot Dish

1 lb. hamburger
1 C. rice (not instant)
1/2 C chopped onion
1/3 C. thinly sliced celery
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 t. soy sauce or to taste (I like a little more in mine)
1 C boiling water

Brown hamburger, celery and onion together until hamburger is brown and onion and celery are partially cooked. Stir all ingredients in an ovenproof dish and place in 350 oven for 40 minutes. Test rice to see if done. If not, give it a little more time.

I love this and have been making it for at least 40 years. I still call a casserole a hot dish sometimes. I think it must be an upper midwest thing. I never even heard the word casserole until I was married and started reading cookbooks, LOL.

The term hot dish always reminds me of Norwegian Bachelor Farmers and Powdermilk Biscuits, lol!

My Mom used to make this with cream of tomato soup and a pound of ground venison, great on a cold winter night, thanks for the reminder! :yum:

I love these one pot wonder recipes. Plus, you can swap out the protein, or the soup flavor and have a whole new dish. Thanks for posting.

Any suggestions what to substitute for canned soup?

A cup of thick bechamel sauce or milk gravy made after frying some onions, celery or mushrooms. You could also omit the water and use 2 and a half cups of tomato juice or crushed tomatoes.

Any suggestions what to substitute for canned soup?

Put some dried porcini in the spice grinder and grind to powder. Nuc 1 cup of water in the microwave and disolve the porcini powder in it. Dry fry a container of sliced criminis until liquid is released. Add porcini broth and reduce by half. Add splash of white wine, some sour cream and S&P to taste. That should sub for the cream of mushie soup. If you like add some fresh or dried thyme.;)

It reminds me of the same Aunt Bea and I grew up in the land of Powdermilk Biscuits and Norwegian Bachelor Farmers. In fact, one of my uncles was a Norwegian Bachelor Farmer and all his many sisters were my VIKING aunts!! LOL. To this day I love Hamburger Hotdish and often make it with macaroni instead of rice.

Interesting how similar this dish is to Dirty Rice," from an entirely different culture.

So...if you don't want to use soup, just add stock or water. I knew one fella that used Kitchen Bouquet and Lipton's onion soup, but his sister made sure I understood that wasn't proper.

The only way my mother ever served rice was for breakfast, with cream and sugar. She's the only one who ate it.

Interesting how similar this dish is to Dirty Rice," from an entirely different culture.

I just don't see a similarity to any dirty rice recipe I've ever seen. Pork and chicken livers are usually called for. The spices are also quite different.

Back
Top Bottom