ISO: broccoli casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
Looking for a recipe including brocolli, cheese(s), rice and anythign else tasty.

A bit different: Broccoli Casserole

1 package frozen chopped broccoli (thaw)
1 pound cottage cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 chopped green pepper
1/3 cup EVOO
1 egg
6 crackers crushed (Ritz or)

Stir. Pour into a greased 9x9 baking pan. Crush 6 -8 more crackers over the top

Refrigerate 24 hours

Bake 1 hour @350 degree oven

mmmm that sounds wonderful, Aria! And I have a bunch of fresh broccoli and everything else, except for the cottage cheese, so I'll pick some up and make it this week - thanks!

Lee

I use a recipe that calls for 1 pkg of chopped broccoli (I don't cook mine) 2 cups of cooked rice, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 8 oz package of shredded cheese (I use sharp cheddar). Mix all together, except a small bit of cheese to put on top. Bake for about 35 minutes at 350. I don't use any other liquid - the uncooked broccoli releases some and cooks up tender but still a bit crisp.

We did this a few days ago, I just winged it and came out delicious... it was based with broccoli and potatoes, but I am sure it will work with precooked rice, too...

1. Steam the broccoli (fresh, chopped, major stem removed) al dente. (they should be still bright green, not brown or grey)

2, Peel and slice the potatoes and boil them for 5 min. circa

3. chop up some Prague ham (or smoked, or honey cured etc... the good ones)

4. cut up some mixture of cheeses in small cubes, in my case fontina, maasdamer and gorgonzola (other suggestions = gouda, emmenthal, taleggio, bel paese, edam, jarlsberg, havarti etc.)

5. toss all these ingredients together while vegs are warm, and put them in a baking dish. Pour bechamele sauce with a dash of nutmeg and white pepper, mix.

6. Top with a mixture of grated parmigiano or grana padano and bread crumbs, broil in the oven until the topping turns golden.

Lee, You are welcome. Let us know how you like it. Aria

texasgirl said:
Mine has cooked rice, cheez whiz, cream of mushroom soup and broccolli
I think that's the standard for a rice one, Texas. Mine's only slightly different.

Aunt Dorothy's Broccoli Casserole

2 Cups Minute Rice(uncooked)
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Pound Velveeta Cheese
2 Package Frozen chopped broccoli
1/4 Cup Butter

Cook rice per instructions on box. Combine soup, Velveeta and butter in saucepan. Cook until blended. Mix together broccoli, rice and sauce. Pour into buttered casserole dish and bake in moderate oven (375~F-400~F) for 1 hour (uncovered).

Last edited:
My favorite is:

a bag of frozen chopped broccoli, cooked
1 c. cooked rice
4 oz. velveeta cheese, melted
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 can milk

bake 350 degrees about 45minutes to an hour

also good with chopped water chestnuts added

Here's one that my whole family loves.

Broccoli Casserole

1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
6 TBSP Butter
2 TBSP Flour
1/2 Cup Water
1 (8-oz) Jar Cheese Whiz
2 (8-oz) Pkg. Frozen Chopped Broccoli, cooked
3 Eggs, well beaten

Saute onions in butter until limp. Stir in flour, then water. Cook over low heat until thick. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add beaten eggs and blend in with cheese mixture. Put broccoli in casserole dish and cover with the sauce mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

Hope you like it.:)

This one doesn't have rice but we love it.

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
40 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli

Mix together and put in greased 9x13 baking dish
bake 350 degrees for 30-35 mins.

Aria said:
A bit different: Broccoli Casserole

1 package frozen chopped broccoli (thaw)
1 pound cottage cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 chopped green pepper
1/3 cup EVOO
1 egg
6 crackers crushed (Ritz or)

Stir. Pour into a greased 9x9 baking pan. Crush 6 -8 more crackers over the top

Refrigerate 24 hours

Bake 1 hour @350 degree oven

Had this casserole tonight, Aria. It was a nice, gentle flavor. A great accompaniment to my Chicken Marsala.

Thanks for posting!

Lee

Does anyone have a recipe for a broccoli casserole made with fresh broccoli and without any canned soups or processed cheese? I would love to try that.

Does it have to be a casserole? I steam fresh broccoli and serve with sauce. I have made lemon dressing for broccoli; it was interesting and tasted okay. I know that I have made dill sauce for broccoli before but it has been some time ago. I could just eat fresh steamed broccoli by itself all day long.
When I make chicken soup with clear broth, I add a few veggies at the end like broccoli and cauflower. Neither one should be cooked for long periods of time.

Here's one I've been meaning to try:

Fresh Broccoli Bake

You can also add chopped ham with the broccoli for a main dish.

Ingredients:
1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 C milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste (I use less)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
3 C chopped, cooked broccoli (barely tender)

Directions:
Blend the cream cheese and milk; add beaten eggs and lemon juice. Mix in salt, nutmeg and parsley. Mix well. Add chopped broccoli.

Pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake about 1 hour at 325°.

the closest I`ve ever done is Broc-Cheese (same as Cauli-cheese really).
but reading some of these Wow! :)

these are a Must Try! thnx Mr.Dove for starting this thread :)

StirBlue said:
Does it have to be a casserole? I steam fresh broccoli and serve with sauce. I have made lemon dressing for broccoli; it was interesting and tasted okay. I know that I have made dill sauce for broccoli before but it has been some time ago. I could just eat fresh steamed broccoli by itself all day long.
When I make chicken soup with clear broth, I add a few veggies at the end like broccoli and cauflower. Neither one should be cooked for long periods of time.
"Does it have to be a casserole"? Hah, well, yeah, StirBlue, because this is a casserole thread. :LOL: Sure, I steam broccoli all the time and love it. But every once in a while, I feel like something a little more substantial, and I'm not a fan of canned soups and processed cheese -- anymore. Wow, a few decades ago, I used to make a killer (literally!) casserole with frozen broccoli, cream soup, cheese, and mayo, and maybe even a few eggs. Yikes!

Constance said:
Here's one I've been meaning to try:

Fresh Broccoli Bake

You can also add chopped ham with the broccoli for a main dish.

Ingredients:
1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 C milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste (I use less)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
3 C chopped, cooked broccoli (barely tender)

Directions:
Blend the cream cheese and milk; add beaten eggs and lemon juice. Mix in salt, nutmeg and parsley. Mix well. Add chopped broccoli.

Pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake about 1 hour at 325°.

Definitely sounds worth a try, Constance. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom