ISO canned chicken and wild rice casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I'm dealing with a migraine today so I need to make supper simple. I have canned chicken breasts and a package of wild rice that I'd like to somehow combine.

Should I add something else to it as a binder?

You can cook the rice as on the package, add the chicken, a frozen veggie that you like and a bit of cheese (cream cheese is good for this too). Put all into a greased casserole dish and into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes and you will have a good, easy meal. I make something like this with leftover chicken/ turkey in a big amount so that I can freeze it in smaller containers for my DH to take on the road.

I would cook the wild rice in chicken broth seasoned with a healthy pinch of dried thyme, minced or dehydrated garlic, salt & pepper (or whatever herb mix you prefer). If you have a good garlic/herb seasoning mix, use that instead.

When rice is done, add diced pimentoes, a can of drained mushrooms, and frozen peas, brussels sprouts or broccoli florets. (canned green beans, corn or mixed vegies are other alternatives)
In a sprayed casserole dish, nest chicken breasts in the rice. Or, shred chicken and mix in with rice.
Spread a can of undiluted cream of chicken (or other) soup, jarred gravy, or bechamel sauce made with half chicken broth over the top, dust with paprika, cover and cook in 350F oven until bubbling.

The reason I wouldn't mix the soup in with the rice mixture is that I think it could make the already cooked rice mushy.

If you want cheese, hold the paprika until casserole is hot. Then top with cheese of your choice, sprinkle with the paprika, and return, uncovered, to 400F oven until cheese is melted.

That's only one thing you can do...you could make a nice chicken/wild rice soup by combining chopped chicken with cooked rice, canned or frozen chicken broth, frozen peas, canned mushrooms...use whatever you have on hand. Be sure to season the broth well...

You could chop the chicken and add to rice with almonds, shredded carrots, garbanzo beans (chick peas), chopped spinach, sliced black olives, feta cheese, chopped fresh parsley and oregano, with a good vinaigrette. Heat it up, or eat cold for a salad.

Back
Top Bottom