ISO Help - Potato Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dc2123

Cook
I'm Cooking some sort of casserole and wanted some advice on things. I'm going to use potatoes brocoli and bacon. Those are the three main ingredients that need to be cooked. My question is should I parcook some of the stuff?

As for the bacon should I pre cook that?

Yes. If you fry it up before adding it to the casserole, the flavor will be better and there will be some texture to it. If you add it to the casserole raw, it will be like boiled bacon.

Yes. It would cook in the casserole, but it wouldn't get crispy. It won't stay crispy in the casserole, but browning it first will add lots of bacony flavor to the dish.

I would certainly par boil the potatoes, so they come out nice and soft, the broccoli wont need to be pre cooked, but I would probably caramelise the bacon, crisp it up a bit and then put it in the casserole

I would precook everything and tie it all together with a nice cheese sauce, just bake it till it bubbles and browns!

Ok so I want to make a casserole with potatoes brocoli and bacon among other little ingredients. But I was wondering if I should parcook the brocoli and bacon before putting it in the oven

Broccoli cooks much faster than potato so if you precook it it will be very mushy.

If you don't cook the bacon it will be flaccid and greasy and not very flavorful.

I would pre-cook the bacon to get it crispy. If the casserole is going to be baked, there's time for the potatoes to get done and there's some liquid, I wouldn't bother "parcooking" the veggies.

I'd suggest the raw potatoes sliced very thinly, as broccoli is easily overcooked in a casserole allowing for potatoes to be cooked. Bacon indeed needs to be cooked before added. To me, overcooked broccoli is terrible.

I agree Kayelle, overcooked broccoli is awful, we only steam our broccoli for 5 minutes and call it done :)

I hear you Kaylie. When I see a recipe where broccoli could be over cooked I cringe. A recipe that calls for cooked broccoli is out of the question in this kitchen. Overcooked broccoli is fit for the garbage in my opinion. On the other hand, cooked properly it's just about my favorite veggie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom