ISO mushroom free green bean casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
Deathly allergic to the 'shrooms--and I think they taste nasty, anyways.

Anyone have an excellent mushroomless/mushroom soupless green bean casserole recipe? I've thought about just subbing cream of chicken or potato for the cream of mushroom soup, but not sure how it'd work out.

Why use a canned soup at all? Use stock and add cream separately. Possibly need to up your salt content as canned soups tend to be a bit saltier than a good stock. It is obviously a culture thing cos I don't know anyone over here that uses a can of soup in a casserole. Strange the differences, eh?!

Yeah it's an American thing. But oddly, this is one of those dishes where the more you mess with it, the better it ends up coming out. It's like trying to gourmet up those canned onion rings....do it and you're doomed to failure, heh.

Thanks for the reinforce.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure we get them either!! LOL Frozen yes, canned, mmm ... will have to look when I hit the shops.

Frito Lay makes em. You mean to tell me you eat green bean casserole without the canned onion rings on top? I couldn't even imagine something so vile hehe.

Don't actually like green beans particularly, so I don't do anything with green beans!! If they are in a dish that I have been served I am more than happy to eat them, but I don't go out of my way for them. With or without onion rings, a green bean casserole just doesn't float me boat! LOL

canned onion rings...never in my life have i seen those :)
never seen green bean casserole either ;)

Cream of celery works too. My husband hates mushrooms. I never get to eat 'em. :(

I am in the same boat you are except my husband is allergic and I just dont like mushrooms. I was thinking of mixing 1 can cream of chicken with 1 can cream of celery or potatoe, but im not sure. If you have tried this will you let me know how it turned out? Im desperate to think of something before Thanksgiving lol.

Thank You

Cassie

This is the only green bean casserole I make.

2-cans green beans (drained)
8oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2T butter
2T flour
2t grated onion
1t salt
1/4t pepper
1t sugar
1C sour cream
1C corn flakes (crushed) mixed w/ 1T melted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a medium saucepan over med. low heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook for about 30 seconds.
Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and sugar; b;end well and continue cooking until bubbly.
Stir in sour cream and cook over low heat for about a minute.
Spread green beans over the bottom of buttered casserole dish (9 x 13).
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over beans followed by the sour cream sauce.
Top with buttered corn flakes.
Bake for 20 minutes or until flakes start to turn a little golden.

I've made the traditional green bean casserole with cream of celery soup before. It tastes a bit different but not glaringly. It's a good sub for those who don't or can't take the mushrooms. BTW I also add a splash of soy sauce.

Recently had a GB casserole made with the flat Italian green beans... thought
it was much better than the regular green beans!
Ditto the splash of soy sauce recommendation if you sub out the mushrooms....
it will add back in the umami.

Back
Top Bottom