"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have no issue with using recipes as guidelines. When I prepare to make a new dish, I gather a half dozen versions of the recipe and compare the ingredients and quantities. Then I put together a recipe using some combination of ingredients and quantities from those six that sounds good. But in the process of doing that, I don't tamper with the basic flavors in the dish.
I do this same thing a lot.

Quote:
On a related note, I don't have a problem with writing down recipes so I can recreate them. That just makes sense to me. Especially if SO and I both really like it. I don't want to be disappointed because I can't make it taste as good the next time.
I'm learning to do this. The hubby gets really annoyed if I make something we really like and don't write it down. I've also gotten better at estimating measurments for things I've added to new recipes.

Dad, what would you recommend I sub out for the cheese powder? Also, do you think I could just leave the peas out or should I replace them with something? I have this weird aversion to peas in a creamy sauce. Something about the texture makes me feel twitchy and makes the muscles under my chin feel weird.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post

I'm learning to do this. The hubby gets really annoyed if I make something we really like and don't write it down. I've also gotten better at estimating measurments for things I've added to new recipes.

Dad, what would you recommend I sub out for the cheese powder? Also, do you think I could just leave the peas out or should I replace them with something? I have this weird aversion to peas in a creamy sauce. Something about the texture makes me feel twitchy and makes the muscles under my chin feel weird.
In case I haven't said so before...I so enjoy your relationship with your Dad...it's a wonderful heartwarming thing to behold.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree. I see that as different from what CWS said. Her changes seemed to be driven by what she had on hand rather than replacing something you don't care for with a preferred item.

I have no issue with using recipes as guidelines. When I prepare to make a new dish, I gather a half dozen versions of the recipe and compare the ingredients and quantities. Then I put together a recipe using some combination of ingredients and quantities from those six that sounds good. But in the process of doing that, I don't tamper with the basic flavors in the dish.

On a related note, I don't have a problem with writing down recipes so I can recreate them. That just makes sense to me. Especially if SO and I both really like it. I don't want to be disappointed because I can't make it taste as good the next time.
FWIW, what I have on hand, happens to be what I like. I don't think people keep food items on hand that they don't like...at least, I don't. One of my favourite chefs to watch on TV is Micheal Smith. I cook like he cooks. I start with the main protein and decide what to do with it. I just don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen. I never did like colouring inside the lines. I don't like cooking inside the lines, either.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post

For the cheese powder (which you can purchase online), you can use shredded, aged cheddar. Simply remove the mixture from the heat before adding the cheese. Then slowly add it as you stir it in. For the peas, you might sub pearl onions, and maybe some diced carrot.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree. I see that as different from what CWS said. Her changes seemed to be driven by what she had on hand rather than replacing something you don't care for with a preferred item.

Same here. Find some recipes you like, then combine them to remain as true as you can using what is available or what methods they are calling for, but still be able to be called "Carl's mook" and have it taste like Carl intended it to taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with throwing something together.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
FWIW, what I have on hand, happens to be what I like. I don't think people keep food items on hand that they don't like...at least, I don't. One of my favourite chefs to watch on TV is Micheal Smith. I cook like he cooks. I start with the main protein and decide what to do with it. I just don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen. I never did like colouring inside the lines. I don't like cooking inside the lines, either.
Agreed. But they do acquire the ingredients when following, or trying to duplicate, a recipe. There are many things I do not keep on hand because they would spoil before I found a use for them. I simply do not use/eat them often enough to stock.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #37
Master Chef

It all comes down to this for all of us....."I'm the boss of my own kitchen, and there's no cooking police to tell me I'm wrong." Simple.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It all comes down to this for all of us....."I'm the boss of my own kitchen, and there's no cooking police to tell me I'm wrong." Simple.
No one is saying differently, Kayelle. We're just discussing the pros and cons of each style.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Same here. Find some recipes you like, then combine them to remain as true as you can using what is available or what methods they are calling for, but still be able to be called "Carl's mook" and have it taste like Carl intended it to taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with throwing something together.

I want the recipe for "Carl's mook."
Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
No one is saying differently, Kayelle. We're just discussing the pros and cons of each style.
Yes, I understand that Andy. I'm just putting in my own two cents into the "discussion". It's just not likely anyone is going to change their style of cooking when all is said and done.

Tags
casserole, garden stuff, recipe

It has no business tasting this good casserole Ok, I threw together this stove top cooked casserole and it tastes sooo good. Here's what's in it, most picked fresh from the garden this afternoon. 1. Sweet full sized tomato, diced into bite-sized chunks. 2. overripe snap peas, threads removed, washed and shucked, about a cup. 3. fresh onion, diced 4. several perfect cherry tomatoes, with that great balance of sweet and tart. 5. 1/2 cucumber, diced. 1 cheese packet Kraft, cheesy southwest chipotle cheese sauce mix. 6. one and one-half tbs. ap flour 7. one and one-half tbs. butter 1/4 cup whipping cream milk. Black Pepper 1/2 lb. ground beef Melt butter and add the flour to make a roux. Lightly salt, and lightly brown. Add cream and stir in until absorbed. Add milk until you have a beautifully smooth sauce. Grate in fresh pepper to taste. Add all ingredients except the ground beef. Brown the ground beef. Season lightly with salt. Add the meat to the veggies and sauce. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes. Add the Kraft cheese sauce mix and stir. Add a little water if required. Cook for ten more minutes. Serve over toast, or in a bowl. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews