"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have no issue with using recipes as guidelines. When I prepare to make a new dish, I gather a half dozen versions of the recipe and compare the ingredients and quantities. Then I put together a recipe using some combination of ingredients and quantities from those six that sounds good. But in the process of doing that, I don't tamper with the basic flavors in the dish.
I do this same thing a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
On a related note, I don't have a problem with writing down recipes so I can recreate them. That just makes sense to me. Especially if SO and I both really like it. I don't want to be disappointed because I can't make it taste as good the next time.
I'm learning to do this. The hubby gets really annoyed if I make something we really like and don't write it down. I've also gotten better at estimating measurments for things I've added to new recipes.

Dad, what would you recommend I sub out for the cheese powder? Also, do you think I could just leave the peas out or should I replace them with something? I have this weird aversion to peas in a creamy sauce. Something about the texture makes me feel twitchy and makes the muscles under my chin feel weird.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #32
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I do this same thing a lot.



I'm learning to do this. The hubby gets really annoyed if I make something we really like and don't write it down. I've also gotten better at estimating measurments for things I've added to new recipes.

Dad, what would you recommend I sub out for the cheese powder? Also, do you think I could just leave the peas out or should I replace them with something? I have this weird aversion to peas in a creamy sauce. Something about the texture makes me feel twitchy and makes the muscles under my chin feel weird.
In case I haven't said so before...I so enjoy your relationship with your Dad...it's a wonderful heartwarming thing to behold.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree. I see that as different from what CWS said. Her changes seemed to be driven by what she had on hand rather than replacing something you don't care for with a preferred item.

I have no issue with using recipes as guidelines. When I prepare to make a new dish, I gather a half dozen versions of the recipe and compare the ingredients and quantities. Then I put together a recipe using some combination of ingredients and quantities from those six that sounds good. But in the process of doing that, I don't tamper with the basic flavors in the dish.

On a related note, I don't have a problem with writing down recipes so I can recreate them. That just makes sense to me. Especially if SO and I both really like it. I don't want to be disappointed because I can't make it taste as good the next time.
FWIW, what I have on hand, happens to be what I like. I don't think people keep food items on hand that they don't like...at least, I don't. One of my favourite chefs to watch on TV is Micheal Smith. I cook like he cooks. I start with the main protein and decide what to do with it. I just don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen. I never did like colouring inside the lines. I don't like cooking inside the lines, either.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #34
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I do this same thing a lot.



I'm learning to do this. The hubby gets really annoyed if I make something we really like and don't write it down. I've also gotten better at estimating measurments for things I've added to new recipes.

Dad, what would you recommend I sub out for the cheese powder? Also, do you think I could just leave the peas out or should I replace them with something? I have this weird aversion to peas in a creamy sauce. Something about the texture makes me feel twitchy and makes the muscles under my chin feel weird.
For the cheese powder (which you can purchase online), you can use shredded, aged cheddar. Simply remove the mixture from the heat before adding the cheese. Then slowly add it as you stir it in. For the peas, you might sub pearl onions, and maybe some diced carrot.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree. I see that as different from what CWS said. Her changes seemed to be driven by what she had on hand rather than replacing something you don't care for with a preferred item.

I have no issue with using recipes as guidelines. When I prepare to make a new dish, I gather a half dozen versions of the recipe and compare the ingredients and quantities. Then I put together a recipe using some combination of ingredients and quantities from those six that sounds good. But in the process of doing that, I don't tamper with the basic flavors in the dish.

On a related note, I don't have a problem with writing down recipes so I can recreate them. That just makes sense to me. Especially if SO and I both really like it. I don't want to be disappointed because I can't make it taste as good the next time.
Same here. Find some recipes you like, then combine them to remain as true as you can using what is available or what methods they are calling for, but still be able to be called "Carl's mook" and have it taste like Carl intended it to taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with throwing something together.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
FWIW, what I have on hand, happens to be what I like. I don't think people keep food items on hand that they don't like...at least, I don't. One of my favourite chefs to watch on TV is Micheal Smith. I cook like he cooks. I start with the main protein and decide what to do with it. I just don't have a chalkboard in my kitchen. I never did like colouring inside the lines. I don't like cooking inside the lines, either.
Agreed. But they do acquire the ingredients when following, or trying to duplicate, a recipe. There are many things I do not keep on hand because they would spoil before I found a use for them. I simply do not use/eat them often enough to stock.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #37
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
It all comes down to this for all of us....."I'm the boss of my own kitchen, and there's no cooking police to tell me I'm wrong." Simple.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It all comes down to this for all of us....."I'm the boss of my own kitchen, and there's no cooking police to tell me I'm wrong." Simple.
No one is saying differently, Kayelle. We're just discussing the pros and cons of each style.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Same here. Find some recipes you like, then combine them to remain as true as you can using what is available or what methods they are calling for, but still be able to be called "Carl's mook" and have it taste like Carl intended it to taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with throwing something together.

I want the recipe for "Carl's mook."
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #40
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No one is saying differently, Kayelle. We're just discussing the pros and cons of each style.
Yes, I understand that Andy. I'm just putting in my own two cents into the "discussion". It's just not likely anyone is going to change their style of cooking when all is said and done.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casserole, garden stuff, recipe

It has no business tasting this good casserole Ok, I threw together this stove top cooked casserole and it tastes sooo good. Here's what's in it, most picked fresh from the garden this afternoon. 1. Sweet full sized tomato, diced into bite-sized chunks. 2. overripe snap peas, threads removed, washed and shucked, about a cup. 3. fresh onion, diced 4. several perfect cherry tomatoes, with that great balance of sweet and tart. 5. 1/2 cucumber, diced. 1 cheese packet Kraft, cheesy southwest chipotle cheese sauce mix. 6. one and one-half tbs. ap flour 7. one and one-half tbs. butter 1/4 cup whipping cream milk. Black Pepper 1/2 lb. ground beef Melt butter and add the flour to make a roux. Lightly salt, and lightly brown. Add cream and stir in until absorbed. Add milk until you have a beautifully smooth sauce. Grate in fresh pepper to taste. Add all ingredients except the ground beef. Brown the ground beef. Season lightly with salt. Add the meat to the veggies and sauce. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes. Add the Kraft cheese sauce mix and stir. Add a little water if required. Cook for ten more minutes. Serve over toast, or in a bowl. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.