Italian Beef & Cabbage & Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
This is pretty wonderful and the recipe can be halved if desired :yum:

ITALIAN BEEF, CABBAGE & POTATO CASSEROLE

4 Lbs. Beef Chuck Roast, (or shoulder) (or pork or lamb) cut the meat across the grain about 1/2" thick slices.
12 Fresh Sage Leaves, chopped fine
8 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
1/8 cup Fresh Rosemary Leaves, (approx.3 or 4 stems of leaves) chopped fine
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
2 Lbs. Red Potatoes, sliced 1/2" thick
Butter
1 Head Napa Cabbage, about 1 1/2 -- 2 Lbs., sliced thin
2 cups White Wine, (whatever you're drinking is great)
1 Lb. Fontina Cheese, shredded

OVEN 400 degrees

Make a PASTE with the Sage, Rosemary, Garlic, 1/4 cup Olive Oil in the food processor.
Put the Potato slices in a large bowl, sprinkle w/Salt, a little Olive Oil, and 1 Tablespoon of the Paste. Toss Well.
Put the Meat slices in a bowl and toss them w/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil & 2 Tablespoons of the Paste.
Brush Roasting Pan w/Remaining Olive Oil.
Spread 1/2 of the Potato Slices in a layer on the bottom of the pan.
Spread 1/2 of the Cabbage evenly over the Potatoes.
Spread ALL of the Beef on top of the Cabbage.
PRESS DOWN
Spread the remaining Potatoes over the Beef and Spread the remaining Cabbage over the Top.
Season Lightly w/Salt & Pepper.

Stir the Wine into the Remaining Paste and Pour Over the Top.
Dot w/Butter.

Cover w/Aluminum Foil (creating a tent and arching it over the food) Press the sides of the foil against the pan to seal it.

BAKE AT 400 DEGREES FOR 2 1/2 HOURS UNTIL TENDER

REMOVE FOIL, SPRINKLE W/FONTINA AND BAKE 20 MINUTES UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED & LIGHTLY BROWNED.

eat. smile. :yum:

Yummers. I'm always looking for ideas for our Ma's Sundays here and this looks like a winner that everyone will love. Thanks.
kades

Yummers. I'm always looking for ideas for our Ma's Sundays here and this looks like a winner that everyone will love. Thanks.
kades

You are welcome Kadesma. Your home is gonna smell wonderful.
Funny you should think of this for Sunday. I'm making this again Sunday too (tomorrow) :)

ps. I make 1/2 the recipe. It is a enough for us with a bit of leftovers.

Last edited:
thank you for this wonderful-sounding beefy meal recipe, cm! is this one of gramma kooch's? cabbage is a fave of mine to use in wintry dishes of all kinds, and fontina is a marvelous melty cheese that just doesn't get the attention or credit i think it deserves.

You are all welcome. No, this is not my grandmother's recipe. I picked this recipe up many years ago from a friend's mother. Whenever I went to their home she was in the kitchen cooking and baking, always something going on. She was making this when I arrived one day. I was so interested as I watched her making the pesto. I watched the entire time and wrote down what she told me.
Needless to say I was always invited to eat, as was anyone else that was around. You're gonna like it :yum:

I am SO making this today! Hopefully it'll still be good without the meat (stop rolling your eyes, I know what you're thinking!) ... But either way, potatoes and cabbage are awesome together and even better with the addition of your paste and wine!

I am SO making this today! Hopefully it'll still be good without the meat (stop rolling your eyes, I know what you're thinking!) ... But either way, potatoes and cabbage are awesome together and even better with the addition of your paste and wine!

:brows: hehe. Who's rolling their eyes?
I'm sure it will taste great Chef Kat.

should be perfectly fine, just a different emphasis of flavors. i'm getting my dc 'chefs' all mixed up lately. would it be ok if i call you kat? :)

It wild be perfectly fine to call me Kat! The name is usually taken so I don't even try to register with it anymore. My name is Kathleen. But it seems so formal and my friends and family call me Kat.

Oh and by the way I did make it and it looks and smells perfect! It will be for dinner one night this week so I will let you know how it went.

It wild be perfectly fine to call me Kat! The name is usually taken so I don't even try to register with it anymore. My name is Kathleen. But it seems so formal and my friends and family call me Kat.

well good, then that's settled, kat. so your dc friends and family will most likely call you that, and a little bit of everything else, as we usually tend to shorten everybody's name when posting.--to most folks here, i have become vit or v....:)

Yes, there are a lot of Chefs about :ROFLMAO:
I did notice that. :)

My DH says "Yes, Chef" in answer when I sound a little bossy, so it's our joke at home. And after graduation, my coworkers had a party and bought me a cake that had "Yes, Chef" written on it -- I wonder if I tend to get bossy with them too????? Other than that, nobody calls me Chef. My chef jackets hang in the closet and my name tag was attached to a teddy bear that sits on the dresser. So I think Kat is a perfectly fine name!

I did notice that. :)

My DH says "Yes, Chef" in answer when I sound a little bossy, so it's our joke at home. And after graduation, my coworkers had a party and bought me a cake that had "Yes, Chef" written on it -- I wonder if I tend to get bossy with them too????? Other than that, nobody calls me Chef. My chef jackets hang in the closet and my name tag was attached to a teddy bear that sits on the dresser. So I think Kat is a perfectly fine name!

"Yes, Chef!" sounds so much better than "Yes Nurse Ratched!"

Large recipe

I made this again last Sunday. Very delicious.
I had forgotten how large the recipe is. I always cut this recipe in half.
I might mention that HALF of this recipe will fill a large turkey roasting pan right to the top.
Even when preparing half of this recipe, still use the entire head of Napa cabbage. It cooks down completely and is wonderful.
I cooked mine longer, approx. 3 hours at 400 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom