"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Italian Beef & Cabbage & Potato

This is pretty wonderful and the recipe can be halved if desired

ITALIAN BEEF, CABBAGE & POTATO CASSEROLE

4 Lbs. Beef Chuck Roast, (or shoulder) (or pork or lamb) cut the meat across the grain about 1/2" thick slices.
12 Fresh Sage Leaves, chopped fine
8 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
1/8 cup Fresh Rosemary Leaves, (approx.3 or 4 stems of leaves) chopped fine
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
2 Lbs. Red Potatoes, sliced 1/2" thick
Butter
1 Head Napa Cabbage, about 1 1/2 -- 2 Lbs., sliced thin
2 cups White Wine, (whatever you're drinking is great)
1 Lb. Fontina Cheese, shredded

OVEN 400 degrees

Make a PASTE with the Sage, Rosemary, Garlic, 1/4 cup Olive Oil in the food processor.
Put the Potato slices in a large bowl, sprinkle w/Salt, a little Olive Oil, and 1 Tablespoon of the Paste. Toss Well.
Put the Meat slices in a bowl and toss them w/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil & 2 Tablespoons of the Paste.
Brush Roasting Pan w/Remaining Olive Oil.
Spread 1/2 of the Potato Slices in a layer on the bottom of the pan.
Spread 1/2 of the Cabbage evenly over the Potatoes.
Spread ALL of the Beef on top of the Cabbage.
PRESS DOWN
Spread the remaining Potatoes over the Beef and Spread the remaining Cabbage over the Top.
Season Lightly w/Salt & Pepper.

Stir the Wine into the Remaining Paste and Pour Over the Top.
Dot w/Butter.

Cover w/Aluminum Foil (creating a tent and arching it over the food) Press the sides of the foil against the pan to seal it.

BAKE AT 400 DEGREES FOR 2 1/2 HOURS UNTIL TENDER

REMOVE FOIL, SPRINKLE W/FONTINA AND BAKE 20 MINUTES UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED & LIGHTLY BROWNED.

eat. smile.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Yummers. I'm always looking for ideas for our Ma's Sundays here and this looks like a winner that everyone will love. Thanks.
kades

Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Yummers. I'm always looking for ideas for our Ma's Sundays here and this looks like a winner that everyone will love. Thanks.
kades
You are welcome Kadesma. Your home is gonna smell wonderful.
Funny you should think of this for Sunday. I'm making this again Sunday too (tomorrow)

ps. I make 1/2 the recipe. It is a enough for us with a bit of leftovers.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds very nice, thanks for sharing Chef
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

thank you for this wonderful-sounding beefy meal recipe, cm! is this one of gramma kooch's? cabbage is a fave of mine to use in wintry dishes of all kinds, and fontina is a marvelous melty cheese that just doesn't get the attention or credit i think it deserves.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Sous Chef

You are all welcome. No, this is not my grandmother's recipe. I picked this recipe up many years ago from a friend's mother. Whenever I went to their home she was in the kitchen cooking and baking, always something going on. She was making this when I arrived one day. I was so interested as I watched her making the pesto. I watched the entire time and wrote down what she told me.
Needless to say I was always invited to eat, as was anyone else that was around. You're gonna like it
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Cook

I am SO making this today! Hopefully it'll still be good without the meat (stop rolling your eyes, I know what you're thinking!) ... But either way, potatoes and cabbage are awesome together and even better with the addition of your paste and wine!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kat View Post
I am SO making this today! Hopefully it'll still be good without the meat (stop rolling your eyes, I know what you're thinking!) ... But either way, potatoes and cabbage are awesome together and even better with the addition of your paste and wine!
hehe. Who's rolling their eyes?
I'm sure it will taste great Chef Kat.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Master Chef

should be perfectly fine, just a different emphasis of flavors. i'm getting my dc 'chefs' all mixed up lately. would it be ok if i call you kat? :)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Cook

It wild be perfectly fine to call me Kat! The name is usually taken so I don't even try to register with it anymore. My name is Kathleen. But it seems so formal and my friends and family call me Kat.

Tags
beef, cabbage, italian, potato, recipe

Italian Beef & Cabbage & Potato This is pretty wonderful and the recipe can be halved if desired :yum: [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR=sienna]ITALIAN BEEF, CABBAGE & POTATO CASSEROLE[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=darkslategray][SIZE=3]4 Lbs. Beef Chuck Roast,[/SIZE] (or shoulder) (or pork or lamb) cut the meat across the grain about 1/2" thick slices.[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]12 Fresh Sage Leaves,[/SIZE] chopped fine[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]8 cloves Garlic,[/SIZE] chopped fine[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]1/8 cup Fresh Rosemary Leaves,[/SIZE] (approx.3 or 4 stems of leaves) chopped fine[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Salt & Pepper[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]2 Lbs. Red Potatoes,[/SIZE] sliced 1/2" thick[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Butter[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]1 Head Napa Cabbage,[/SIZE] about 1 1/2 -- 2 Lbs., sliced thin[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]2 cups White Wine,[/SIZE] (whatever you're drinking is great)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]1 Lb. Fontina Cheese,[/SIZE] shredded[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]OVEN 400 degrees[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslategray]Make a PASTE with the Sage, Rosemary, Garlic, 1/4 cup Olive Oil in the food processor.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Put the Potato slices in a large bowl, sprinkle w/Salt, a little Olive Oil, and 1 Tablespoon of the Paste. Toss Well.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Put the Meat slices in a bowl and toss them w/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil & 2 Tablespoons of the Paste.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Brush Roasting Pan w/Remaining Olive Oil.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Spread 1/2 of the Potato Slices in a layer on the bottom of the pan.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Spread 1/2 of the Cabbage evenly over the Potatoes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Spread ALL of the Beef on top of the Cabbage.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]PRESS DOWN[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Spread the remaining Potatoes over the Beef and Spread the remaining Cabbage over the Top.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Season Lightly w/Salt & Pepper.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Stir the Wine into the Remaining Paste and Pour Over the Top.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Dot w/Butter.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Cover w/Aluminum Foil (creating a tent and arching it over the food) Press the sides of the foil against the pan to seal it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]BAKE AT 400 DEGREES FOR 2 1/2 HOURS UNTIL TENDER[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]REMOVE FOIL, SPRINKLE W/FONTINA AND BAKE 20 MINUTES UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED & LIGHTLY BROWNED.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslategray]eat. smile. :yum:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews