Italian Sausage casserole w/ basil crumb topping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
A couple of days ago I added a little something extra to my dinner and it really was worth sharing:

Here's what I made (sorry if amounts aren't exact - I eyeball more than measure in stuff like this)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1-3/4 lb good fresh italian sausage: remove from casings and cook in deep skillet till browned.
add 2 roasted, minced garlic cloves
Add 2 jars marinara (I like the 4-cheese variety myself)
cook till heated through and add 1 can diced tomatoes.
Simmer on low.

Cook rigatoni (or other tube pasta) according to manufacturer's directions.

Drain rigatoni and layer alternately with sausage sauce in large baking pan (I think I used a 15x9x2)

Bake in oven 15 minutes
-while it's baking, roast 3 more cloves of garlic (I love my microwaveable garlic baker!!!). When it's done, put into food chopper, along with about 6-9 large fresh basil leaves, 2 Tbsp of grated jack cheese and 8-10 super thin breadsticks. (I use the ones that are a bit thinner than a pencil, but around the same length). chop away.

After the casserole has cooked 12-15 minutes, sprinkle the basil/garlic topping to cover as much as possible. Return to oven 10 minutes.

When bubbly, it's done.
(I also topped half of the casserole with more shredded jack and it was quite tasty). (Half, because my older boy still hates cheese).

He hates cheese????? He has a defect, jkath:LOL: :ROFLMAO: just joking. I love cheese and this sounds yummy. Not sure anyone else here will eat it. I'm trying to broaden their tastes, but, it's not working really well. DH is set in his mundane everyday foods. Hot dogs, braut, taco's. He doesn't like Italian unless I make lasagna with lots of meat. I'm in the wrong family.:ROFLMAO:

texasgirl said:
He hates cheese????? He has a defect, jkath:LOL: :ROFLMAO:
yep - we keep telling him that we're shipping him back to his home planet if he keeps it up. (He only will knowingly eat cheese on a pizza. Notice the word "knowingly"...mwa hahahah)

jkath said:
yep - we keep telling him that we're shipping him back to his home planet if he keeps it up. (He only will knowingly eat cheese on a pizza. Notice the word "knowingly"...mwa hahahah)

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: I've told my oldest that he is an alien since he was little.

That sounds really, really good Jkath! About how many servings does it yield? I'm estimating around 8? Have you frozen it before/does it freeze well?

You've peaked my curiosity, I've never heard of a microwaveable garlic baker, can you please tell me more about it? The one - and only! - time I tried nuking garlic (one of those culinary experiments we tried when we moved out on our own from home, lol) it was a disaster! It took months to rid the microwave of the smell.

Back
Top Bottom