Leftover Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Could someone t ell me if they have a recipe to use with leftover ham? I did see one with noodles but when I have to find it, I can't. Thanks.

I am making this tonight, with our leftover ham. I seen this on a TV show, and it looked awesome. Also, I have never pureed a chowder!!! So this is going to be interesting!!!

Ham and Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons olive oil or bacon fat
1/2 cup diced onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup smoked ham, sausage or Cajun taso Ham; diced
1/4 cup green bell peppers, diced
1 cup potatoes, peeled and medium diced
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1-2 tablespoons diced chipotle peppers
3 cups chicken stock or water
2 cups cream
Kosher salt and black peppers
1/2 cup jump lump crab meat garnish (optional)
Steps:
  1. In an 8 qt. saucepan heat butter and oil and saute onions, celery, garlic, and ham for 5 minutes.
  2. Add corn, green bell peppers, and chipotle peppers. Stir well.
  3. Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20-30 minutes -- until potatoes are tender.
  5. Add cream and simmer another 20 minutes.
  6. Taste for salt and pepper.
  7. Place mixture in a food processor and puree. (This may make 2 batches)
  8. Place soup in service bowls and garnish with crab meat, croutons or diced bacon.
Serves 8.

Hi, ITK. Erik - that looks like a fantastic recipe - wel'll be trying it soon!

Leftover ham is great in scalloped potatoes or chopped up in tinier pieces and used in a twice-baked potato. Brown it up in a skillet and serve with scrambled eggs.

I would grill it with pineapple chunks, or dice it up and make a casserole with potatoes, scallion, cheese of your choice and bechamelle:)

Shredded (torn into thin pieces, if possible) and tossed in your favourite bbq sauce and/or some grainy mustard and placed into a hearty roll or between some sour dough or other delicious bread, with oodles of salad greens and perhaps some slices of bell peppers.

Erik

Thank you! Due to the amount of servings one gets from this recipe I am going to try it. Thanks for being so prompt as I am going to the store this morning to avoid any New Year's crowd, if that is possible. I love the ham but then salvaging it later is not easy. I appreciate all the suggestions but this is new one and I sure will give try. Thanks to all of you and good luck with your leftovers.

Mom always made ham and lima bean soup. It's got a thinish broth, but it is seasoned with a bit of salt, pepper and cinnamon. There's also a sweetness to the soup from brown sugar. I adore it (major comfort food, when served with a good rye bread slathered with butter), but unfortunately, nobody else in my family likes it, so I stopped making it. :(

Sad

Shame nobody liked the soup. Sound delicious to me. I don't keep recipes the family doesn't care for either. I like them but they don't. Thanks for suggestion but since have limited time I will make this ham and chowder. I just hope it fills them up. Thanks jkath. Good to hear from you. Sounds like things are calming down or are they just being pu t on hold till next year? You got recipe for the soup or do you just 'wing' it?

Ham salad for sandwiches...grind together ham, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese, add sweet pickle relish, Miracle Whip and mustard. Mix well and eat on your choice of bread, toasted or not, or crackers...
Ham & Beans for New Year's Day...
Ham & split pea soup, with potatoes and carrots...
Ham and peas in your mac & cheese...
and the great catch-all...fritatta.

Scalloped potatoes and ham
cube ham,peel and slice 6 to 8 med potatoes. 1 onion sliced, put in a roaster that has been sprayed with a oil. 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, one can water, one can milk. Salt and Pepper to taste. 2 tlb flour.Mix well with a wire whip and add to potatoes and ham.Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hr or longer if need be. potatos should be fork tender.

Hey ITK check out this thread. In it I post a recipe for Sam's Brandied Chicken which uses leftover ham as a topping. It is a complete crowd pleaser. Never met anyone who DIDN'T like it. Even if you don't like that recipe there are some other ideas in there.

Fry up some ham slices (preferably a country ham), make red eye gravy (prefer to use Coke, real not the diet kind, instead of coffee).

Fry up some eggs.

Fry up some taters.

Serve with fresh cooked bisquits.

That is my idea of a breakfast, or a dinner for that matter.

This recipe is one of my favorite ways to use ham. I use whatever amount of ham I feel like using. My mom used to make this recipe with SPAM when I was a kid, but I switched the SPAM for ham a few years ago.

Ham Divan Bake

1 lb. broccoli florets

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1½ cups milk
Ham
4 cheese slices or 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling salted water. Melt butter. Blend together flour, onion powder, and dry mustard. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stir until mixture thickens and boils. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Arrange broccoli in a single layer in buttered 12”x8” baking dish. Pour half of the sauce over broccoli. Overlap ham slices over the broccoli. Pour remaining sauce over the top. Bake at 425º for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

Never let me down

Thanks for your time and suggestions. They sound so good and quick. Just have to make up my mind which one to try next. Don't want them to know what I am trying to do by trying to hide the basic item. Then they start complaining that I am fixing ham too much but I sure do not like to put in freezer. Just gets too full of ice or something. Flavor not the same.

Yo, thumper

thumpershere2 said:
Scalloped potatoes and ham
cube ham,peel and slice 6 to 8 med potatoes. 1 onion sliced, put in a roaster that has been sprayed with a oil. 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, one can water, one can milk. Salt and Pepper to taste. 2 tlb flour.Mix well with a wire whip and add to potatoes and ham.Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hr or longer if need be. potatos should be fork tender.

I used your recipe last night, and have to say it was a little soupier (altho deelish) than I would have expected. Had to cook it hotter and longer than what you prescribed.

We ate it out of bowls instead of plates. Have to admit I forgot the flour -d'ya think that would have made it way mo' bettah?

pea soup, navy bean soup ... those dried "mixes" in your market's bean aisle are fine...make the broth with spme of the ham and bone and you'll have a great pot of soup

Thanks for making me hungry for soup. Give us a ham bone and we always have to decide what one to make. Would include lentil soup in that, always a favorite.

Have ground our leftover ham to make a spread, and just plain old ham sandwiches - get a nice bread or roll and put on anything you want. Mustard, chutney, you name it.

Or how about a fritatta? Some onion and fresh red or green pepper, a bit of hot sauce, cheese (Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, whatever you have). a pinch of Italian seasoning (or any seasonings you like), oh, yes, and eggs.

Or how about eggs Benedict?

Or just scramble some eggs with diced ham, mushrooms, maybe some spinach, a bit of Parmesan perhaps, a dash of hot sauce, now that is living.

I think it was Dorothy Parker who said 'Infinity is a ham and two perople'.

We like ham and are only two people, so we will try almost anything.

Layer slices of ham and sliced onions in your scalloped potaotes, for a side dish.
OR

Layer slices of ham, onions and mixed veggies in you scalloped potaotes, for a casserole.

Save the meaty bone for soup.

Back
Top Bottom