"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I like regular old cheddar for mine.
Bechamel, cheddar, cayenne, black pepper, salt, penne cooked just shy of al dente. Top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs seasoned with grated cheddar and Cajun seasoning. Bake at 350-375 for 10-30 minutes until browned on top.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I use white American cheddar cheese. I do like to put some Swiss cheese in also. I think the next time I make it, I am going to try Chief's way of using the half and half. I buy it by the half gallon and always have it on hand for coffee. I have always used the cream sauce. But his way sounds interesting. My kids do like having the tomatoes added into the mixture also. I usually use the juice as part of the liquid for the cream sauce. So I will have to figure out how to make it part of the half and half.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I used to make a Bechemel, then add cheese to it. But as good as the mother sauce is, it dilutes the flavor of the cheese, requiring more cheese to get good flavor. By using only cream, or half'n half, and cheese, the result is creamier, and has more intense flavor to balance the pasta flavor.
I also noted that the bechemel sauce required lots of cheese as they seemed to compete with each other for the main flavor.
Since I have never made homemade mac & cheese, I will now try it.

Do you think this method would be good for a cheese sauce? Like to put over veggies? No bechemel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I like regular old cheddar for mine.
Bechamel, cheddar, cayenne, black pepper, salt, penne cooked just shy of al dente. Top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs seasoned with grated cheddar and Cajun seasoning. Bake at 350-375 for 10-30 minutes until browned on top.
I like the idea of a crusty top. Southern mac & cheese leaves much to be desired. I am speaking only this family I married into and other times when I have been served this dish.
It seems its no more than cooked elbows mixed with some cheese and put in the oven. Very dry with no creamy texture.

I plan to make this next time there is a get together.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I generally do a stove top mac and cheese.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I also usually use what ever I have in the refrigerator. The last batch had some sharp cheddar, Philly cream cheese, even some Velveeta and the rest of the grated Parmesan. I think I might have used up the last of the sour cream too. No matter what cheeses or combination, it gets gobbled up.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

RB, I take fresh breadcrumbs and toast them in a very small amount of butter in my sauté pan. Then mix with some grated cheese for the top of my mac and cheese. Place in oven and remove when bubbling.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

RB, in answer to your question about a cheese sauce. You would probably want to make a Welsh Rarebit Sauce. A lot of folks leave out the beer. Or use the beer of their choice.

Welsh Rarebit Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 06-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
RB, I take fresh breadcrumbs and toast them in a very small amount of butter in my sauté pan. Then mix with some grated cheese for the top of my mac and cheese. Place in oven and remove when bubbling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
RB, in answer to your question about a cheese sauce. You would probably want to make a Welsh Rarebit Sauce. A lot of folks leave out the beer. Or use the beer of their choice.

Welsh Rarebit Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Thanks Addie. I will use the recipe link provided (sounds great and I will use beer) and I like your crusty topping. Will use it too, when i make the mac &cheese.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother used to make Welsh Rarebit all the time with the beer when she had it. Otherwise it was milk or cream. I prefer it without. She was a stickler for sticking to the recipes her mother taught her. I think I come from a family of drunks. Maybe that is why I have never tasted liquor.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I like the idea of a crusty top. Southern mac & cheese leaves much to be desired. I am speaking only this family I married into and other times when I have been served this dish.
It seems its no more than cooked elbows mixed with some cheese and put in the oven. Very dry with no creamy texture.

I plan to make this next time there is a get together.
If it were dry and non-creamy, that just sounds like bad macaroni and cheese.
You have to take into account a couple of things.
1. The pasta will continue cooking in the oven as it bakes because the pasta should not be completely cooked through when it goes in. It'll absorb moisture from the sauce as it finishes cooking in the oven.

2.The starch released from the pasta can also slightly thicken the sauce. I almost always hit my pasta with cold water in the colander when it finishes boiling to keep it from overcooking and to rinse off some of the starch. I only do this for baked macaroni and cheese to help with the final texture; no globs of pasta stuck together and sauce consistency is easier to control.

3. The breadcrumbs act as a moisture wick, pulling a little moisture up and then evaporating into the oven. I've noticed very dry mac and cheese when I accidentally make the crust too thick on top.

So, the solution is extra sauce and a thin crust on top. I usually put almost double the sauce of a traditional recipes call for and it comes out perfectly. I don't mind putting in extra cheese if the sauce needs it. In my opinion, good macaroni and cheese is ALL about the texture as long as you get the cheese flavor in there. I've had times where I cooked the pasta too much and just browned the crust under the broiler and you couldn't tell much difference from the baked one honestly.

Tags
cheese