Meatloaf casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pasco84

Assistant Cook
I've been told a good chef doesn't use measurements. This has been passed down in my family a couple of times, and I will try my best to put measurements on everything. However, it's kinda a guess, just play with the consistency.

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs
1 package Ritz crackers (package meaning one of the 4 packages usually in a box)
1 egg
1 cup salsa (Emeril's southwest is best here)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 can mushroom soup
Quite a few slices of cheese, I use American, just use whichever you like the most
Dash of Montreal steak seasoning

Directions: In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except the cheese and ritz crackers. Crush the ritz crackers in a bag, add those and mix. The mixture should not be hard to mix, but should still be wet enough to stick to the side of the bowl. If it isn't this texture, add more bread crumbs to thicken, or more salsa or ketchup to make it less thick. (Sometimes I even put Dale's steak seasoning in there to make it less thick).

I used to do this in a traditional meatloaf pan, but I find it to work better in a square glass casserole dish. Preheat oven to 375 and use non-stick spray on the glass dish. Spoon half of the meat mixture into the dish, spread and flatten it. Cover the whole layer with cheese, generously. Then spoon the rest of the mixture over the cheese, and flatten that as well. Glaze the whole top with a thin layer of ketchup. Then sprinkle some more italian bread crumbs over the top of that, and bake for about 35 minutes.

Sometimes I add cooked bacon to the cheese layer in the middle, and it comes out wonderful.

It probably would be good like that, it ends up being rather thick though. This and a nice vegetable makes a really nice meal by itself.

Back
Top Bottom