Mirliton dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cantcook

Cook
mirliton dressing

Didn't really know where to put this, but since the subject of mirlitons came up in the general forum, I thought I'd post this somewhere!!

4 mirlitons
1 onion, chopped
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 bunch green onions, chopped [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4-5 toes garlic, minced [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup chopped parsley [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup celery, and green pepper [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]olive oil [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 lb. of fresh shrimp, peeled and cut into pieces [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 tsp oregano, 4 tsp thyme, salt, pepper to taste and about 2-3 bay leaves[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boil mirlitons whole until tender...but not mushy. [/font]​

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Peel, if necessary; remove seed in center and cut into cubes.

Set aside.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reserve boiling liquid [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a large pan, saute vegetables in oil or margarine until limp; add shrimp. [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cook until shrimp are pink -- about one minute [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add chopped mirlitons with oregano, thympe, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add breada crumbs (about 3/4 cup). [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese. Stir well. [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add liquid from boiling mirlitons to loosen.

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place in a greased casserole dish.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs, then 1/4 cup grated cheese. [/font]​

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dot with piecs of margarine. [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bake at 375 until bubbly. [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brown top under broiler.

[/font]

Last edited:
Hi there. There is no amount of mirlitons in your recipe, could you just toss that in for me please? Thanks! I moved this to casseroles, as it seemed appropriate.

Thanks! I thought this looked pretty cool. Would you say this is more an appetizer thing or a side dish? They don't look big enough for a main course, or am I out to lunch on that one?

Back
Top Bottom