My potatoes didn't cook through :( (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also never pre-cook potatoes when making a gratin - you just need to cook them long enough. You want to cook at a low enough temperature such that the potatoes cook through before they get too brown on the top. Alternatively you can use a lid to start, but this dish can be cooked uncovered at one temperature with cooked potatoes and a crispy top - it just depends on your gratin depth, oven, etc. I also suggest that you start it in a cold oven, allowing it to pre-heat with the oven.

Personally I wouldn't cook the chicken from raw in the gratin, as it will inevitably overcook and become rubbery (and it's likely not long enough of a cook time to break down all the collagen that makes it rubbery). If you cook the chicken in a pot with some water for a few hours, you could then break up the fall-apart tender meat to include in your uncooked gratin, and reduce the resulting stock to include as part of the cooking fluid with your milk/cream and BBQ sauce. Some broccoli in that would be good too I bet, along with the cheddar (sorry, I recoil from the foil pack of V).

Last edited:
If you want to freeze a milk-based soup or casserole, evap. milk doesn't separate like milk does, so the texture is nicer after having been frozen than if you use milk or cream. I like using evap. milk in casseroles. I leave the traditional scalloped potatoes job to my DH. My scalloped potatoes are Janssen's Temptation (layers of potatoes, onion, swedish anchovies, cream, and butter).

Last edited:
Looks good lillybean I'm going to try that too but first use a frying pan to maybe cook the potatoes before they go into that delicious sounding casserole. Thanks for the heads up on the uncooked potatoes.

Kind of reminds me of the old tray pack 'Potatoes Au Gratin' we were served out in the field. If you were cold and wet they were so good cause they held their heat long after they were served. Plus they had a nice appealing light orange color to them as well.

Hey guys. I wasn't completely clear in my first post. The bbq chicken was actually on the side lol. In the pan all I had were the potatoes, milk, cheese, and bacon and bread crumbs.

And thanks for all the advice, guys. When I make this dish again (hopefully soon) I will repost!

Hey guys. I wasn't completely clear in my first post. The bbq chicken was actually on the side lol. In the pan all I had were the potatoes, milk, cheese, and bacon and bread crumbs.

That is the way I read it???

Increase cooking time on a lower temperature, cover with a lid or foil for the first half hour. Good luck

If your roaster oven is like my two, it heats mostly from the sides, not the bottom. I thought I would be able to evaporate maple sap using it--no such luck. I couldn't get the sap to boil evenly in the roaster pan. If yours heats from the sides, the fact that the pan was 8 x 8 might have been part of the problem. Covering it at the start or parboiling the potatoes could resolve the problem. Plug in the roaster oven and wait about 10-15 minutes before you start cooking. You could also contact customer service for the appliance and ask why this didn't work.

A handy thing to have for a turkey or a big batch of Swedish meatballs.

Back
Top Bottom