My potatoes didn't cook through :( (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilybean

Assistant Cook
I tried to replicate a Stouffer's tv dinner that I really like. It's a cheesy potato bake with barbeque chicken tenderloins.

I used and 8x8 disposable pan coated with nonstick spray. I put in a layer of coarsely dices potatoes, some shavings of margerine and salt and pepper, then poured in some fresh milk and topped with Velveeta singles. I repeated this step and then put some chopped raw bacon and bread crumbs on top. I set my roaster oven at 350. The milk soon boiled over and the bread crumbs were soggy, so now I know not to put so much milk in next time. But the potatoes were mostly still rock hard. Don't get me wrong, I ate it because cheese and potatoes are still tasty, but I was rather disappointed. It was in for about an hour. I took it out because the top was done and about to burn. My cousin suggested I boil the potatoes first. What else can I do to make it right next time?

2primpt.jpg

Last edited:
Of course, you can't do it in an aluminum foil pan, but when I do casseroles, most of the time I start them in the microwave for about 6 or 7 minutes (while the oven is preheating). It gives them a really nice head start and it helps the veggies to begin cooking before browning.

Of course, you can't do it in an aluminum foil pan, but when I do casseroles, most of the time I start them in the microwave for about 6 or 7 minutes (while the oven is preheating). It gives them a really nice head start and it helps the veggies to begin cooking before browning.

Ok, you think I should get a glass one or a hard metal one?

Typically when you make a casserole like this, all the ingredients are already cooked and you just put it in the oven to heat it through and crisp/brown the top.

I see no problem with using a disposable aluminum pan, just don't fill it so full.

What is a "roaster oven", like a toaster oven?
Not at all. It's basically a huge crock pot but it has vents in the top, except you can set it to dif temps from 150-400. So technically you can slow cook in it. It has a removable rack also to raise pans/roasts off the bottom surface if need be. But it's liner is reoveable just like any slow cooker.

Having had this problem before, I just pre-cook my potatoes or use canned sliced ones.

I like to use my glass pan, but be sure to spray it with cooking oil first or you'll have a terrible time scrubbing, especially with cheese.

Typically when you make a casserole like this, all the ingredients are already cooked and you just put it in the oven to heat it through and crisp/brown the top.

I see no problem with using a disposable aluminum pan, just don't fill it so full.
Okay thanks :)

Having had this problem before, I just pre-cook my potatoes or use canned sliced ones.

I like to use my glass pan, but be sure to spray it with cooking oil first or you'll have a terrible time scrubbing, especially with cheese.

Not at all. It's basically a huge crock pot but it has vents in the top, except you can set it to dif temps from 150-400. So technically you can slow cook in it. It has a removable rack also to raise pans/roasts off the bottom surface if need be. But it's liner is reoveable just like any slow cooker.

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah... I've seen those. I don't have one and was having a senior moment :ermm:. I know that most toaster ovens put the food too close to the heating elements and can cause your condition for longer cooks. Nice picture though. It looks good :)

I agree with Z, and your cousin about at least partially boiling the potatoes first. This has happened to me way too many times in too many potato dishes...Always get the potatoes pieces at least half tender before using them in a casserole.

When I do a casserole I put a lid on it for an hour, then take off to brown. I've never tried pre-cooking my spuds, but that would certainly shorten the cooking time. I've never had a boil over though, not yet anyway. That sounds simply like too much liquid or solid ingredients.

While you guys are here, I have one more question. :) Are there any advantages to using fresh milk over evaporated or vice versa? I have a few cans of the stuff, but I'm scared to use it lol.

You may want to try a combination. Using all evap may make for an overly rich result. Try half evap and half milk.

Or, if you just want to use up the evap, add water to make it whole.

I tried to replicate a Stouffer's tv dinner that I really like. It's a cheesy potato bake with barbeque chicken tenderloins.

I used and 8x8 disposable pan coated with nonstick spray. I put in a layer of coarsely dices potatoes, some shavings of margerine and salt and pepper, then poured in some fresh milk and topped with Velveeta singles. I repeated this step and then put some chopped raw bacon and bread crumbs on top. I set my roaster oven at 350. The milk soon boiled over and the bread crumbs were soggy, so now I know not to put so much milk in next time. But the potatoes were mostly still rock hard. Don't get me wrong, I ate it because cheese and potatoes are still tasty, but I was rather disappointed. It was in for about an hour. I took it out because the top was done and about to burn. My cousin suggested I boil the potatoes first. What else can I do to make it right next time?

It's ok to use an aluminum baking pan if that's what you have. A good coating of butter or cooking spray will help with the sticking problem. I like the sticky browned stuff at the bottom..

Slicing the potatoes to be the same sized will help with them cooking evenly.

Pre cook the bacon and chicken. Chop the bacon. Slice up the chicken breasts or into bite sized pieces.
Make your cream sauce. Melt the Velveeta add some milk salt and pepper.

Layer the potatoes evenly at the bottom. Then the chicken. Pour on the cheese. Add the bacon bits and bread crumbs at the last 15-20 minutes. Check the potatoes if they aren't tender. Give it a little longer.

Munky.

I believe that the person who said not to use the aluminum pan was referring to the fact that you can't put an aluminum pan in the microwave. It is of course fine to use in a regular oven. Although I find that thin disposable pans don't always heat evenly and the bottom and sides can get done way before the middle does.

If I am cooking a casserole with tightly layered ingredients I don't add the toppings until the dish is very near done. Be sure to test first. This keeps the topping from browning too much.

I believe that the person who said not to use the aluminum pan was referring to the fact that you can't put an aluminum pan in the microwave. It is of course fine to use in a regular oven. Although I find that thin disposable pans don't always heat evenly and the bottom and sides can get done way before the middle does.

If I am cooking a casserole with tightly layered ingredients I don't add the toppings until the dish is very near done. Be sure to test first. This keeps the topping from browning too much.

Another thing about the disposable pans is that all that good crunchy part stays stuck to the pan instead of going onto your plate.

When I make Scalloped Potatoes I never per cook anything. I think you should have added the cheese to melt on top after it cooked through. Sometimes it does take more than a hour to cook. JMHO

partially precook your spuds or expect them to take 1 1/2 hr in a heavier pan (spreads the heat more evenly) in a larger oven (same).

My thought on not using aluminum was indeed the fact that it could not go into the microwave. I use glass or ceramic and that works fine. I was wondering if all your potatoes were in same size pieces. I think I know the "roaster" you are using. My mom has one that she has used for years. I don't have any experience with that, but I'd think you could cook on lower heat til almost done, then raise the heat to brown - that should work.

Back
Top Bottom