Need help making mac and cheese.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, it's all gone. But, my point was, you don't have to bake it in the oven, nor do you need to melt the cheese in a Bechemel sauce. I feel that the Bechemel dilutes the cheese flavor. Also, think about what is going on in the oven. Grated cheese is combined with pasta and milk, and uses the oven heat to heat the cooking vessel, which then transfers the heat to the food. The cheese melts and combines with the milk to form a thick sauce. How thick the sauce is depends on the ratio of milk to cheese. For thicker sauce (rubbery is the term I think that was used in previous posts to this thread) you reduce the liquid. For a more runny, or creamy sauce, you increase the liquid. The butter also adds both flavor and mouth feel. If temperatures are watched, the same process can be done in a pan, on top of the stove. And, by making the sauce separate, you can better control both the flavor profile, and texture of the sauce. The only thing you have to remember is that with any sauce containing protein, you have to use low heat to prevent breaking the sauce.

The other advantage of making your mac'n cheese on top of the stove is that you can add other ingredients if you like, such as diced onion, bacon, or ham, cauliflower, etc. Mac'n cheese is after all, macarroni with cheese sauce mixed in. Whether the sauce is formed through baking, or in a pot really doesn't matter.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've seen some recipes that use Ritz crackers as the topping, MMM
(note self, try this next time)!
The two Mac & Cheese recipes that I really like are from America's Test Kitchen:
Classic Macaroni And Cheese Americas Test Kitchen) Recipe - Food.com
(the stove top style)
as well as Martha Stewart's recipe... her's is a a bit more indulgent ...
Martha Stewart's Mac and Cheese Recipe by dianelee | Epicurious.com
(the baked version)
I haven't made it in awhile, mainly because after making this huge casserole of goodness, I find out after 26 years that
DH DOES NOT care for it, WHAT? :huh: :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I order it at restaurants, especially if there's BACON or LOBSTER involved :yum:
oh my gosh, so ONO(that's delicious in Hawaiian)~licious!!!

I find that Ritz crackers are too sweet. There is sugar in them. Or at least I can taste it. My daughter used them for her stuffing for baked stuffed lobsters. Lobster meat itself is sweet and the crackers make it even more so. Ritz crackers contains High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I came across this when searching for the ingredients list of Ritz crackers. What is going on in Canada?

Mom Fined for Not Including GMO Ritz Crackers in Kids' Lunches | The Healthy Home Economist

Here is the list of ingredients for Ritz crackers. They not only contain the High Fructose Corn Syrup, but sugar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rit...Beven%2Bin%2Bmoderation%26submit%3DGo;309;323

:angel:

You stick the point of the very sharp knife into the head right behind the eyes and then split it right down the length to the tail. Then pack it with your stuffing. You still get to eat the claws and tail meat separately. Very good if you have the right stuffing. :angel:

I came across this when searching for the ingredients list of Ritz crackers. What is going on in Canada?

Mom Fined for Not Including GMO Ritz Crackers in Kids' Lunches | The Healthy Home Economist

What is going on is that idiot blogger's mis-interpretation of what happened.

The violation, you ask? The lunch did not contain any grains! More specifically, the mother got fined $10 for not packing a “balanced” lunch that included that nutritional giant known as Ritz crackers! - See more at: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....z-crackers-childs-lunch/#sthash.atmW4JRT.dpuf

The parent didn't include a grain in the lunch so the school fined the parent for that and gave the kid some Ritz crackers as a grain. The blogger called it a fine for not including Ritz crackers. Not quite the same thing.

This stuff just kills me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom