New lasagna ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok, we know from the cabbage roll (galumpki) thread about Polish Lasagna. We understand traditional lasagna. We've all experienced Mexican Lasagna, or by other names - tamale pie, enchilada pie, etc. So now, let's see if we can come up with other delectable ideas for layered dishes. I believe these all fall loosely under the casserole umbrella. Put your thinking caps on. You can use pasta, shredded spuds, leaves of appropriate veggies, tortillas, even pancakes. waffles, or phillo dough if you want. Be creative. Make deserts, side dishes, casseroles, main courses, whatever you want. Just make it layered, like lasagna.

Here's my first, untried entry:

Carne Asada Lasagna:

1 lb. sirloin, or round steak
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 cups shredded queso blancho or sharp cheddar cheese
three tsp. minced, fresh cilantro
3 tbs. lime juice
12 fresh flour or corn tortillas
1/2 cup enchilada sauce

Grll steak over fire until medium rare. Dice the meat. Add to a hot frying pan with the veggies, cilantro, and lime juice. Heat until the veggies are lightly cooked.

Put a tbs of the enchilada sauce into a casserole dish and spread over the bottom. Place tortillas down to cover. Add half of the filling and top with 1/3 of the cheese. Lay down more tortillas, filling, and cheese. Cover with final layer of tortillas, cheese, and the remaining sauce. Place in a 350 F. oven for 25 minutes, and serve with your favorite beverage.

Is a double decker turkey and dressing sandwich with gravy a kind of lasagna?:LOL: Does that qualify?

Ok, someone make something layered from turkey dinner left-overs.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So we've gotten to the point where any layered food is a lasagna?

Nawe, just going with the flow. There are of course, napoleons, spanikopita, various tortes, streudels, etc. I'm looking for original ideas for layered foods that use some kind of membrane, topped with a filling, and again layered up using similar building techniques as with lasagna.

We all know what true lasagna is. And as I stated before, what one person calls Mexican Lasagna, I call enchilada pie, while others still call it taco pie, or probably many other names. I know that what is called goulash where I live is also called slumgullian, and American chop suey.

The name is not as important as is the recipe and technique. This is supposed to be a playfull thread, not to be taken too seriously. We may come up with wonderful new recipes, or a bit of humor, or whatever.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I developed a lasagna type recipe many years ago using eggplant slices instead of macaroni. I affectionately call it:

Mulignan a la Sicilian

Ingredients:

· 2 medium sized eggplants
· Kosher salt
· ½ lb ground beef
· ¼ lb ground pork
· ¼ lb ground veal
· 1 quart of homemade tomato sauce (no jarred or canned sauce, please)
· 1½ cups of Ricotta Cheese
· 1½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
· 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
· 1 egg
· Light olive oil

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly cover the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish (you can also use ramekins to make individual servings) with tomato sauce.
Slice the eggplant about -inch thick. Place the slices on racks with paper towels underneath. Sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt and let stand fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water, place on dry paper towels and pat dry.

While the eggplant is purging, combine the beef, pork and veal and brown them in light olive oil. Mix the ground meat with enough of your sauce to create a thick "sloppy joe" consistency, heat through, and set aside to cool.

Mix the three cheeses and the egg together in a large bowl, reserving ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese.

In a non-stick skillet, lightly brown the eggplant slices in olive oil on both sides. The eggplant will really soak up the oil, so use it sparingly.
As they finish browning, organize the slices into sets of three of approximately the same diameter. Place one slice from each set of three in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish (or in each ramekin). Divide ½ of the meat mixture and ½ of the cheese mixture evenly among the eggplant slices. Add a second eggplant slice from each set and evenly divide the remaining meat mixture, and the remaining cheese mixture among the eggplant slices. Add the remaining eggplant slices and cover them with the reserved ½ cup of mozzarella. Pour some of the tomato sauce over the eggplant slices, and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the mozzarella is brown and bubbly. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce.

I developed a lasagna type recipe many years ago using eggplant slices instead of macaroni. I affectionately call it:

Mulignan a la Sicilian

Ingredients:

· 2 medium sized eggplants
· Kosher salt
· ½ lb ground beef
· ¼ lb ground pork
· ¼ lb ground veal
· 1 quart of homemade tomato sauce (no jarred or canned sauce, please)
· 1½ cups of Ricotta Cheese
· 1½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
· 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
· 1 egg
· Light olive oil

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly cover the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish (you can also use ramekins to make individual servings) with tomato sauce.
Slice the eggplant about -inch thick. Place the slices on racks with paper towels underneath. Sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt and let stand fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water, place on dry paper towels and pat dry.

While the eggplant is purging, combine the beef, pork and veal and brown them in light olive oil. Mix the ground meat with enough of your sauce to create a thick "sloppy joe" consistency, heat through, and set aside to cool.

Mix the three cheeses and the egg together in a large bowl, reserving ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese.

In a non-stick skillet, lightly brown the eggplant slices in olive oil on both sides. The eggplant will really soak up the oil, so use it sparingly.
As they finish browning, organize the slices into sets of three of approximately the same diameter. Place one slice from each set of three in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish (or in each ramekin). Divide ½ of the meat mixture and ½ of the cheese mixture evenly among the eggplant slices. Add a second eggplant slice from each set and evenly divide the remaining meat mixture, and the remaining cheese mixture among the eggplant slices. Add the remaining eggplant slices and cover them with the reserved ½ cup of mozzarella. Pour some of the tomato sauce over the eggplant slices, and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the mozzarella is brown and bubbly. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce.

There ya go. Nice.:punk:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I make a dish exactly the same as Sir's,
but I use ribbons of raw zucchini, the meat, the sauce, the cheese, etc.
Tasty!
I make it in a glass dish that is about the size of a goodly sized zuk, very pretty on presentation.
A side salad, some nice bread, and guido's your uncle ;)

Last edited:
In 1988 I submitted this recipe in a church cookbook.

I called it

Knock Me Out Chocolate Lasagna

4 large eggs, separated
1 large, and 1 small pack of real chocolate chips
1 large container Cool whip
1 store bought angel food cake.
1 package of chopped pecans.

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler and let cool. Add slightly beaten egg yolks. Beat egg whites till stiff and add 2 tsp. of sugar. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, and fold in Cool Whip.
Slice angel food cake as thinly as possible. In a 9x13 pan layer the chocolate mixture, cake slices and chopped nuts "lasagna style" ending with the chocolate and nuts on top.

I haven't made it in years, but these days I'd use my microwave for melting the chocolate chips, and nix the Cool Whip for real whipped cream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom