Norwegian Potato Hot Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
1 lg. pkg. frozen hash browns
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream celery soup
1 cup sour cream
parsley
Blend soups and sour cream together. Add thawed hasn browns. Marinate for awhile. Bake at 350 for 1hr in a buttered casserole dish. Serves 6.

Sounds like something that kids might really enjoy...I think I'd be tempted to jazz it up a it with some onions and/or spices, perhaps even bread crumbs or cheese over the top...Thanks for posting this one thumpershere2 :)

if'n you really want it to be norskie, put in chunks of either herring or haddock. my mom used to make something like this from scratch.

this looks really good thump, tusen takk.

Just wondering what makes this Norwegian? The maker? And Bucky...I don't think lutefisk would taste very good in this. :-p

O my gosh! not lutefisk!! and maybe it is the maker, as I recall I had several recipes from a norskie friend and she called most all her recipes norwegian.

Alix said:
Just wondering what makes this Norwegian? The maker? And Bucky...I don't think lutefisk would taste very good in this. :-p

I've heard lutefisk is a somewhat challenging flavor/texture for the uninitiated.

I'v tried lutefisk once and that was enough. Hard to get pass the smell first. I didn't like the texture at all.It's a speciality around here at hunting time. Some of the churches serve it for the hunters suppers. YUK!!

no one likes lutefisk? go hang your big square heads in shame!!!!!! :)

alix, norskies can find a way to put fish in almost any dish.

Although the recipe looks nice, like Alix I still don't get the idea why this can be a Norwegian dish... perhaps it will be more Norwayish if you use lefse instead of "frozen hash browns"?

buckytom said:
no one likes lutefisk? go hang your big square heads in shame!!!!!! :)

alix, norskies can find a way to put fish in almost any dish.

I know. And that scares me a bit. Actually, just lutefisk scares me. :sick:

urmaniac13 said:
Although the recipe looks nice, like Alix I still don't get the idea why this can be a Norwegian dish... perhaps it will be more Norwayish if you use lefse instead of "frozen hash browns"?
I had that thought too when I first read the recipe, but figured that it might have to do with the sour cream, even though the use of sour cream is pretty common (in abundance) all over northern and eastern europe :)

most northern europeans have scandinavian blood in them thanks to the vikings, so we take credit for all of the good dishes anyone makes.

just add fish.

can i get an "uff da" from all the norskies in the house??????

Wonder if this could be made with frozen O'Brien potatoes (with onions and peppers). I just happen to have a bag of them in the freezer!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom