"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
A dear former neighbor, who was originally from Venezuela, had a lovely house party. He cooked the heck out of his paella after bragging about it for weeks prior. Three hours into the party it was finally done, and we had something that was not memorable and barely edible. I felt so bad for him.
After three hours I wouldn't think it would be recognizable, let alone edible. I brown the meat in the pan, add veggies and rice, cover an put in a 350 oven for 45 minutes. If seafood is used, it goes in 15 minutes before it's done. This is from Christmas Eve a couple of years ago.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paella.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	22778

Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef

When I make this dish, the first thing that goes into the pan is Spanish chorizo that has been sliced in 1/4" rounds (sometimes I dice it). The sausage goes in a dry pan over medium-high heat, until the fat is rendered. Then off to the side. Next the chicken pieces, which have been salt and peppered, go in to brown (skin on) and render their fat. These will go until almost cooked through then removed. Next goes the sofrito until soft. The rice (valencia) goes in next and is "stir fried" until coated and slightly toasted. White wine or dry sherry goes in and cooked until the pan is almost dry. Add the tomatoes, cook until the liquid is almost evaporated. Chicken or seafood stock, in which the saffron has been steeped, goes next. Stir the chorizo back in and add the chicken pieces back. No more stirring from this point! Shaking the pan will not disturb the "crust" forming on the bottom. You now add the seafood in the order of cooking time clams first, mussels, lobster tails (I leave it in the shell and cut it into sections, crosswise. If you are adding fish, I recommend something like grouper, snapper or monkfish. These can be added with the lobster. If you are using shrimp in the shell (U-10) they can go in as well. Shrimp out of the shell and smaller shrimp should be added last. Use your judgement. The rice on the bottom should be crusty when the seafood is done. Peas and piquillo pepper strips are optional. I use the peppers, but not the peas.

The process/technique is to build layers of flavor as the dish comes together.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Despite 4 Spanish cookery books (all written by Spaniards), several years in Spain and a myriad of Spanish friends wishing to cook the only "authentic" paella recipe to show me what it should be like, I have never had two exactly the same!

Even when I make it to the same basic recipe I've been using for 30 years or more it's never exactly the same as last time!

Tags
None