"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 10-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
The Peroge casserole looks great and the Perogi (sp?) lasagna, well bacon rules in my book. I will have to try both now that cooler waether is here.

Thanks for both of these.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Wow sounds great! I love perogies and I like to eat them with a side of sour cream. This sounds delicious though. I will have to try it. Thanks-

Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

Cool Been Wondering

Love this discussion as I definitely do enjoy a pierohy no matter how spelled or filled. Especially if crisped in some hot oil and butter with sauteed chopped onion. Not fruit filled of course. When I first saw a perogie casserole recipe I said na, can't be.

My daughter just told me she loves the kraut filled variety I had put in her freezer - made by the Pierogy team at the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Parma. I'm now tempted to make the casserole idea - probably the kraut recipe first. First tell me again please, that this is a good idea.

Hay Otter - try progies again but do the sautee of onion thing and then crisp them up.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Alix, sorry to say, but I'd have to call you minimalist rather than purist. There are hundreds of different filings for pierogy used in Ukraine. Cheese and potato are the easiest ones.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
My parents watch Jimmy Sturr on TV and he was always advertising Mrs T's Pierogies. I saw some at WallyWorld and decided to try them. Unfortunately, none of us liked them - we all thought they were extremely bland.
Not sure about Mrs T's pierogies. But the only blend pierogies could only come from Minnesota where everything (I mean all the foods) are blend.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I am making this tonight. I followed the recipe and ended up with layers as follows.

Noodles
Potatoes
Cheese
Onion
Noodles
Potatoes
Cheese
Onion
Noodles

Then I ran out of potatoes so I topped it with the rest of the cheese and onions. i think it will still be great. I will take a picture.

Have to run.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Let's see... butter... potatoes and pasta...IT has to be GOOD!!

Thank you!!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

I never wrote in that I made this casserole more than a few times, of course changing it a bit here and there. I love it, and yes, you can actually see the fat forming on your thighs after eating.

I do add fresh grated nutmeg between a couple of layers too.

Thanks for dredging this one up!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I had Pierogi Casserole for dinner last night and probably for lunch today. It is totally a large pan of Pierogi and very tasty. My wife liked it as well. As you can see below, it is a pretty dish as well.

I do think that next time I will use one stick of better and use some for the onions and some for the pan and the rest in the potatoes. Don't get me wrong, I love butter but it was settled in the pan. Also I did not have any sour cream which would have been excellent.

I used a bit of cracked pepper and garlic powder in the potaotoes and next time I think I am going to use a bigger onion. Maybe my lasagna noodles are different, but a 1 lb. box had 20+ noodles in it and I only used 9 (would have used 12 if I had not run out of potato).

Any way, it is really good eating and I am no vegetarian. I am a bit excited to make the recipe Linsfin has posted using the bacon and sauerkraut.

One more thing; next time I would cook it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then uncover and cook for another 10 or 15 minutes to crisp up the top. I know this is not pierogi-like but I prefer crunchy tops.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

Your photo looks delicious :)

You can also use the lasagna noodles that are skinnier (more ridges to hold goodies)

hmmmm...weird about the butter, although I use stoneware for it, maybe that's the difference.

Tags
None