Pierogi Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAYT721

Senior Cook
Pierogi Casserole - Tried & True

NOTE: Very high in calories, uses LOTS of butter/margarine. Excellent potluck recipe.

6 cups mashed potatoes
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, grated
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine, melted
1 large onion, diced
1 lb. lasagna noodles, cooked

Saute onions in butter or margarine until wilted. Butter 13x9-inch dish. Place a layer of cooked lasagna noodles, then potatoes, then cheese, then 1/3 of the onion/butter mixture. Repeat layers ending with noodles. Pour remaining butter mixture on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Hey, this sounds neat. My husband and I like pierogi's, in fact, just had the frozen ones the other night. Clever and easy. I printed it to try sometime soon. Thanks. :)

crewsk said:
I love perogies but always buy the frozen ones. I'll have to try this soon!!
My parents watch Jimmy Sturr on TV and he was always advertising Mrs T's Pierogies. I saw some at WallyWorld and decided to try them. Unfortunately, none of us liked them - we all thought they were extremely bland. :neutral:

Otter, here's a quickie for your pierogies:
Slice up some garlic, roast it in a bit of olive oil till it's soft, and set aside.
To the same pan, add butter and your previously frozen and then boiled-till-they're-hot-all-the-way-throuth-pierogies.
Get 'em golden, then add the roasted garlic.
Once the flavors have melded, plate them with a generous handful of
*you guessed it* fontina. Gruyere or jarlsburg would also be yummy.
Top with minced chives.

Made pierogies alot and many different ways, can be stuffed with anything you like. My favorite is kraut and sausage or cornedbeef. Short version of periogies is use egg roll wrap and deep fry, they are really goood. Rhuban hot dish made alot like pierogie hot dish. Use Kraut and corned beef with the lasagana noodles.

OK, all your recipes sound interesting, but I must admit to being a purist on the perogy (or perohe) front. I don't stuff mine with anything except potato and cheese. This casserole of Ray's is interesting because it uses noodles. I hadn't really thought about it, but the dough for perohe is the same recipe I use when making pasta noodles. Go figure. Learn something new here everyday.

Love perogies (perohe) and I think this may be a casserole my picky mini might like. I can't wait to try it alix!
Jill

Our family always got together and made homemade pierogies,” “My aunts, sisters and I always made everything by scratch, and I thought, there has got to be a simpler way.”

So I made up a recipe with all the same ingredients, and assembled it in a lasagna.

I use lasagna noodles for the recipe, but also recommends kluski noodles.

“It’s even easier,”. “You just cook a package of kluski noodles and mix them with the sauerkraut mixture, then layer it as you would in the recipe.

PIEROGI LASAGNA

1 pound bacon

2 large onions (2 cups)

2 -32 oz. jars of sauerkraut (Steinfeld's )if you can find it in your area your area

2 packages mashed potatoes (4 cups)

1 large package mild cheddar cheese, grated

1 box lasagna noodles

1 stick of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Fry until crispy in skillet. Remove bacon from pan and add onions to bacon grease and cook until golden brown. Return bacon to onion mixture.

Rinse sauerkraut lightly and squeeze out most of the liquid (reserve 1/4 cup of this liquid). Add sauerkraut to bacon and onion mixture. Cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Add the reserved liquid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Heat mashed potatoes in microwave and season to taste. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions. Butter bottom of 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Place a layer of noodles in pan, add a layer of mashed potatoes, followed by a drizzle of about 3 tablespoons of butter. Add layer of sauerkraut mixture, then a layer of cheddar cheese. Repeat 3 times.

Bake for 45 minutes. Optional: Add slices of kielbasa in between layers.

— 3rd place winner, 2007 Steinfeld’s Sauerkraut contest

Enjoy!!

Wow sounds great! I love perogies and I like to eat them with a side of sour cream. This sounds delicious though. I will have to try it. Thanks-

Been Wondering

Love this discussion as I definitely do enjoy a pierohy no matter how spelled or filled. Especially if crisped in some hot oil and butter with sauteed chopped onion. Not fruit filled of course. When I first saw a perogie casserole recipe I said na, can't be.:ermm:

My daughter just told me she loves the kraut filled variety I had put in her freezer - made by the Pierogy team at the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Parma. I'm now tempted to make the casserole idea - probably the kraut recipe first. First tell me again please, that this is a good idea.:)

Hay Otter - try progies again but do the sautee of onion thing and then crisp them up. :chef:

Alix, sorry to say, but I'd have to call you minimalist rather than purist. There are hundreds of different filings for pierogy used in Ukraine. Cheese and potato are the easiest ones.

My parents watch Jimmy Sturr on TV and he was always advertising Mrs T's Pierogies. I saw some at WallyWorld and decided to try them. Unfortunately, none of us liked them - we all thought they were extremely bland. :neutral:

Not sure about Mrs T's pierogies. But the only blend pierogies could only come from Minnesota where everything (I mean all the foods) are blend. :)

I am making this tonight. I followed the recipe and ended up with layers as follows.

Noodles
Potatoes
Cheese
Onion
Noodles
Potatoes
Cheese
Onion
Noodles

Then I ran out of potatoes so I topped it with the rest of the cheese and onions. i think it will still be great. I will take a picture.

Have to run.

I never wrote in that I made this casserole more than a few times, of course changing it a bit here and there. I love it, and yes, you can actually see the fat forming on your thighs after eating.

I do add fresh grated nutmeg between a couple of layers too.

Thanks for dredging this one up!

I had Pierogi Casserole for dinner last night and probably for lunch today.:chef: It is totally a large pan of Pierogi and very tasty. My wife liked it as well. As you can see below, it is a pretty dish as well.

Perogi_Pan.jpg

Perogi_slice.jpg

I do think that next time I will use one stick of better and use some for the onions and some for the pan and the rest in the potatoes. Don't get me wrong, I love butter but it was settled in the pan. Also I did not have any sour cream which would have been excellent.

I used a bit of cracked pepper and garlic powder in the potaotoes and next time I think I am going to use a bigger onion. Maybe my lasagna noodles are different, but a 1 lb. box had 20+ noodles in it and I only used 9 (would have used 12 if I had not run out of potato).

Any way, it is really good eating and I am no vegetarian. I am a bit excited to make the recipe Linsfin has posted using the bacon and sauerkraut.

One more thing; next time I would cook it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then uncover and cook for another 10 or 15 minutes to crisp up the top. I know this is not pierogi-like but I prefer crunchy tops.:)

Thanks,
Bryan

Your photo looks delicious :)

You can also use the lasagna noodles that are skinnier (more ridges to hold goodies)

hmmmm...weird about the butter, although I use stoneware for it, maybe that's the difference.

Back
Top Bottom