"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 05-31-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to RAYT721
Pierogi Casserole

Pierogi Casserole - Tried & True

NOTE: Very high in calories, uses LOTS of butter/margarine. Excellent potluck recipe.

6 cups mashed potatoes
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, grated
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine, melted
1 large onion, diced
1 lb. lasagna noodles, cooked

Saute onions in butter or margarine until wilted. Butter 13x9-inch dish. Place a layer of cooked lasagna noodles, then potatoes, then cheese, then 1/3 of the onion/butter mixture. Repeat layers ending with noodles. Pour remaining butter mixture on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Don't wait for your ship to come in ... Swim out to meet it!
RAYT721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Hey, this sounds neat. My husband and I like pierogi's, in fact, just had the frozen ones the other night. Clever and easy. I printed it to try sometime soon. Thanks.

cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
mmmmmmm... yummy. have to make this and he BETTER like it lol
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I love perogies but always buy the frozen ones. I'll have to try this soon!!
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by crewsk
I love perogies but always buy the frozen ones. I'll have to try this soon!!
My parents watch Jimmy Sturr on TV and he was always advertising Mrs T's Pierogies. I saw some at WallyWorld and decided to try them. Unfortunately, none of us liked them - we all thought they were extremely bland.
...and that's the way it is in northern Minnesota.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen
Otter, here's a quickie for your pierogies:
Slice up some garlic, roast it in a bit of olive oil till it's soft, and set aside.
To the same pan, add butter and your previously frozen and then boiled-till-they're-hot-all-the-way-throuth-pierogies.
Get 'em golden, then add the roasted garlic.
Once the flavors have melded, plate them with a generous handful of
*you guessed it* fontina. Gruyere or jarlsburg would also be yummy.
Top with minced chives.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Head Chef
Made pierogies alot and many different ways, can be stuffed with anything you like. My favorite is kraut and sausage or cornedbeef. Short version of periogies is use egg roll wrap and deep fry, they are really goood. Rhuban hot dish made alot like pierogie hot dish. Use Kraut and corned beef with the lasagana noodles.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
OK, all your recipes sound interesting, but I must admit to being a purist on the perogy (or perohe) front. I don't stuff mine with anything except potato and cheese. This casserole of Ray's is interesting because it uses noodles. I hadn't really thought about it, but the dough for perohe is the same recipe I use when making pasta noodles. Go figure. Learn something new here everyday.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Love perogies (perohe) and I think this may be a casserole my picky mini might like. I can't wait to try it alix!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
Our family always got together and made homemade pierogies,” “My aunts, sisters and I always made everything by scratch, and I thought, there has got to be a simpler way.”

So I made up a recipe with all the same ingredients, and assembled it in a lasagna.

I use lasagna noodles for the recipe, but also recommends kluski noodles.

“It’s even easier,”. “You just cook a package of kluski noodles and mix them with the sauerkraut mixture, then layer it as you would in the recipe.

1 pound bacon

2 large onions (2 cups)

2 -32 oz. jars of sauerkraut (Steinfeld's )if you can find it in your area your area

2 packages mashed potatoes (4 cups)

1 large package mild cheddar cheese, grated

1 box lasagna noodles

1 stick of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Fry until crispy in skillet. Remove bacon from pan and add onions to bacon grease and cook until golden brown. Return bacon to onion mixture.

Rinse sauerkraut lightly and squeeze out most of the liquid (reserve 1/4 cup of this liquid). Add sauerkraut to bacon and onion mixture. Cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Add the reserved liquid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Heat mashed potatoes in microwave and season to taste. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions. Butter bottom of 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Place a layer of noodles in pan, add a layer of mashed potatoes, followed by a drizzle of about 3 tablespoons of butter. Add layer of sauerkraut mixture, then a layer of cheddar cheese. Repeat 3 times.

Bake for 45 minutes. Optional: Add slices of kielbasa in between layers.

— 3rd place winner, 2007 Steinfeld’s Sauerkraut contest

LINSFIN is offline   Reply With Quote