Pierogi Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LINSFIN

Assistant Cook
Our family always got together and made homemade pierogies,” “My aunts, sisters and I always made everything by scratch, and I thought, there has got to be a simpler way.”

So I made up a recipe with all the same ingredients, and assembled it in a lasagna.

I use lasagna noodles for the recipe, but also recommends kluski noodles.

“It’s even easier,”. “You just cook a package of kluski noodles and mix them with the sauerkraut mixture, then layer it as you would in the recipe.

PIEROGI LASAGNA

1 pound bacon

2 large onions (2 cups)

2 -32 oz. jars of sauerkraut (Steinfeld's )if you can find it in your area your area

2 packages mashed potatoes (4 cups)

1 large package mild cheddar cheese, grated

1 box lasagna noodles

1 stick of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Fry until crispy in skillet. Remove bacon from pan and add onions to bacon grease and cook until golden brown. Return bacon to onion mixture.

Rinse sauerkraut lightly and squeeze out most of the liquid (reserve 1/4 cup of this liquid). Add sauerkraut to bacon and onion mixture. Cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Add the reserved liquid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Heat mashed potatoes in microwave and season to taste. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions. Butter bottom of 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Place a layer of noodles in pan, add a layer of mashed potatoes, followed by a drizzle of about 3 tablespoons of butter. Add layer of sauerkraut mixture, then a layer of cheddar cheese. Repeat 3 times.

Bake for 45 minutes. Optional: Add slices of kielbasa in between layers.

— 3rd place winner, 2007 Steinfeld’s Sauerkraut contest

Enjoy!!

We make them all by scratch too, we use to have pierogi making party.
Now I just make them myself. Ahh grandsons are getting bigger will have to reinstate pierogi party.

This sounds great for inbetween and you really one some, I will be trying this one
thanks

Back
Top Bottom