Potatoes,bacon and green beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peeper76

Cook
My uncle who lives in florida makes this green bean hot dish with potatoes bacon and green beans. It is absolutely delicious. Anyone hear of it, or have tried it? MMM;)

Yep and it's really good. I add onions to mine and cook it in chicken broth. Yummy!

I cook green beans a big pot with bacon and potatoes all the time. I also use onions and a little garlic.

You chop the bacon, put it in the pot on med/high heat to sweat a little, and when it's starting to brown just a little, add the onions, cooking and stirring on medium heat until onions are soft. Add green beans and water and/or broth and a small had of salt, and let cook until beans are starting to get tender. Add the potatoes and a few shakes of pepper, and cook until all is tender. A few tablespoons of real butter, added at the last, makes it really special.
Serve with anything, but you can make a meal of it with a pan of cornbread on the side.

*You can replace the bacon with a ham hock or ham bone.

Is this what you're thinking of?

Yep, around here it's just called a "pot of beans".

The beans are certainly not at the crisp tender stage but they are a meal!

I first sweat some onions and bacon, both cut up. I just sweat them and not brown them. Once translucent add your diced potatoes and cook a couple more minutes. Add your beans and enough water to cover everything. Salt and pepper well. Cook until VERY done and the water definitely has a stock flavor.

A ham bone can be used in place of the bacon or a ham hock or two, as already mentioned.

And there's a law I'm sure that this has to be served with cornbread - this is our favorite cornbread to serve with it.

If you like your beans a bit crisper, just make a stock with the ham hocks, onions, and garlic--simmer for an hour or so. Add your beans half an hour or 45 minutes before you want to eat, and your potatoes about 20 minutes before dinner.

Cheesy Spoon Bread

I forgot to post the Cornbread recipe:

Cheesy Spoon Bread

Part #1
1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Part #3 Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Take out seeds and veins from green chilies if using whole ones and chop. Otherwise, just use chopped ones.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #2. - set aside.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #3. - set aside.

Butter a 9 x 9 baking pan. Mix #2 and #3 together. Pour 1/2 of the batter into pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese and all of chilies on top of this layer. Pour rest of batter on top of this and then top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve.

For spicier cornbread add jalapeno peppers, Tobasco or cayenne for a bite. My new favorite hot sauce is Chilula - it has a round wooden cap - if you can find it try it - heat with flavor.

Back
Top Bottom