"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 09-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapono
Oh and I didn't boil the cabbage first... so we will see
That's fine, my wife makes a nice cabbage dish with ground beef, onion, soy sauce, curry powder, dry chicken soup mix and cooks it in a wok with the lid on. Don't add any water.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

well, it is finished i don't know if I did something wrong, but it was HORRIBLE (it is not the first time a dish does not come out the way its supposed to with me) but i just threw the whole thing out for the wild animals to scavage.......... .....

i like to do casserole kind of things (so my husband can have leftovers for a couple of day).. I don't cook every day.. (maybe once or twice a week) secondary to my work schedule that is all i can manage...

only married 3 years, but still learning to cook (apparently not to well yet )......

anyone have anymore casseroles that they love!!!!

thanks guys

I really enjoy this site..... I wish I was more knowledgeable to share more stuff with you' alll... (i am a southern gal if ya cant tell)

anyway, thanks for the great site!!

Old 09-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I like casseroles cooked low and slow. I never add water, always something that will meld in with every thing else. A bottle (sm) of stout, canned tomatoes, undrained corn, sweet potato cubes to disolve and thicken, gourmet potatoes and carrot pieces to hold their shape, parsnip, turnip, peas, green beans, any veggie that takes your fancy, with Lamb or beef, or pork, or whatever, with herbs to match. Casserole are impossible to mess up. I use my largest cast iron cass. and fill it up. Very good, even better the day after.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
well, it is finished i don't know if I did something wrong, but it was HORRIBLE (it is not the first time a dish does not come out the way its supposed to with me) only married 3 years, but still learning to cook (apparently not to well yet )...... !!
I'd have thought it was "horrible" because I don't see any salt in the recipe... Food without salt, well - -we won't go into that just now!!

You're doing just fine. At least you're giving everything a try, which is the most important thing. Keep on like this and you'll soon be a great cook!

Talking of casseroles, my dad's favourite, which he'd put in the oven at 7am at minimum ( 220 - 250) and cook all day long, was basically :
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 tin tomatoes
  • 1 tin baked beans
  • 1 sliced onion
  • 2 chopped potatoes
  • 2 chopped carrots
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 pint beef stock ( if I remember rightly)
  • Salt and pepper
He'd just put everything into the oven dish , mix them around a bit, put the lid on the dish and leave it in the oven all day. I suggest you try it, but watch how it goes!!! THe great thing about a casserole is the mix of flavours, and the longer it cooks, generally speaking, the better it tastes.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

question in regards to your dads favorite.... did he cook the ground beef first or put it in uncooked???.. and how big is a "tin" of tomatoes and baked beans???.. and thank your for your kind words of encouragement i do appreciate them very much.....
Old 09-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
question in regards to your dads favorite.... did he cook the ground beef first or put it in uncooked???.. and how big is a "tin" of tomatoes and baked beans???.. and thank your for your kind words of encouragement i do appreciate them very much.....
There were five of us at home, so it was probably a 800 gm (28 oz) tin of tomatoes and a 400 gm (14 oz) of beans! And yes, he fried the meat in little lard first.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
Head Chef

Exclamation Cabbage Casserole

I have never tried one before but I will print out your receipe for my file.
As for being too soggy I would add less water.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-23-2006, 01:57 AM   #18
Cook

I'm amzed this thread is still alive :)

anways i made this recipe many times already w/o preboilng the cabbage ( i like it better this way) here's the pics i took.They actually look the same LOL

Old 09-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Your cabbage casserole is similar to a milanese dish, Cassoeula, or cassuòla.
It's usually made in november, the season for cabbage and the time in which, here, porks are killed.
My mother never preboiled cabbage. Moreover, she was usually saying that cabbage, to be very good and..crunchy? crispy? (sorry...), must be the early ones, the cabbage that has suffered the first iced weather. Can this help you?
http://www.niguarda.com/Ristoranti/Cassoeula.htm
The recipe is in italian, but I think it's rather easy. All the pieces of pork are allowed.
Another suggestion to have a very crispy cabbage is to leave it outside, on the window, for a couple of days, (if you have a icy weather), in order to frost it.

Tags
None