Question re: Cabbage Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fawn

Cook
CABBAGE CASSEROLE

1 1/2 lbs ground pork or beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash oregano
32 ounces spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup rice
1 dash basil
1 head cabbage
1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Shred, boil 3 minutes and drain cabbage.
2. Brown onion and meat and Drain.
3. Place cabbage in casserole dish.
4. Place meat mixture on cabbage.
5. Add garlic powder, oregano and basil on meat.
6. Add spag.sauce and rice.
7. Layer like you do lasagne.
8. Top with cheese.
9. Cover and bake 1 hour at 350F degrees

i already baked this recipe, followed the process of pre boiling the cabbage then bake--> cabbage were soggy

what if i didn't precook the cabbage? and layer it in the caserole isnteaD? Will they get cooked at the same baking time?

I don't want soggy cabbage but tender crisp

This is the recipe I use. No pre-cooking of the cabbage.

Here's one that Gretchen posted once...

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
1-1 1/2 lb. ground beef or lamb
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 can water
1/2 C uncooked rice
4 C cabbage, shredded
sour cream
Brown meeat, onions, and garlic. Drain. Add tomato sauce, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place 2/3 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish and cover with half the rice mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. Serve with sour cream. Serves 4-6.

We call this Unstuffed Cabbage and I've never cooked the cabbage at all before mixing it in the casserole.

thanks for the replies, based on what you (pdswife) posted, i think not preboiling the cabbage would work :)

Thanks!

I was about to answer with my recipe experience but was beaten to it. Don't pre-cook the cabbage.

I would also not pre-boil the cabbage. Not necessary. If you make the recipe without boiling & find the cabbage too crispy for your taste, try sauteing it in a little olive oil before hand. But boiling? Nada. I can't remember the last time I boiled cabbage for any recipe other than BRIEFLY blanching leaves for stuffed cabbage.

thank you thank you for all the rplies!! :) i'm now sure that preboilng is not necessary needed

hello, I attempted this casserole today, haven't gotten it done yet... I sure hope it turns out ok.. ( i am a beginner cook, so alot of the times things dont). One casserole I made the other day, my husband loved was a chicken tetrazini... (first time making that too) and it turned out very good... he wants that again...:clap: :clap:

catapono said:
Oh and I didn't boil the cabbage first... so we will see:chef:
That's fine, my wife makes a nice cabbage dish with ground beef, onion, soy sauce, curry powder, dry chicken soup mix and cooks it in a wok with the lid on. Don't add any water.

well, it is finished :( i don't know if I did something wrong, but it was HORRIBLE (it is not the first time a dish does not come out the way its supposed to with me) :mad: but i just threw the whole thing out for the wild animals to scavage.......... .....

i like to do casserole kind of things (so my husband can have leftovers for a couple of day).. I don't cook every day.. (maybe once or twice a week) secondary to my work schedule that is all i can manage...

only married 3 years, but still learning to cook (apparently not to well yet:LOL: )......

anyone have anymore casseroles that they love!!!!

thanks guys

I really enjoy this site..... I wish I was more knowledgeable to share more stuff with you' alll... (i am a southern gal if ya cant tell):ohmy:

anyway, thanks for the great site!!

I like casseroles cooked low and slow. I never add water, always something that will meld in with every thing else. A bottle (sm) of stout, canned tomatoes, undrained corn, sweet potato cubes to disolve and thicken, gourmet potatoes and carrot pieces to hold their shape, parsnip, turnip, peas, green beans, any veggie that takes your fancy, with Lamb or beef, or pork, or whatever, with herbs to match. Casserole are impossible to mess up. I use my largest cast iron cass. and fill it up. Very good, even better the day after.

catapono said:
well, it is finished :( i don't know if I did something wrong, but it was HORRIBLE (it is not the first time a dish does not come out the way its supposed to with me) only married 3 years, but still learning to cook (apparently not to well yet:LOL: )...... !!

I'd have thought it was "horrible" because I don't see any salt in the recipe...:cool: Food without salt, well - -we won't go into that just now!!

You're doing just fine. At least you're giving everything a try, which is the most important thing. Keep on like this and you'll soon be a great cook!

Talking of casseroles, my dad's favourite, which he'd put in the oven at 7am at minimum ( 220 - 250º) and cook all day long, was basically :
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 tin tomatoes
  • 1 tin baked beans
  • 1 sliced onion
  • 2 chopped potatoes
  • 2 chopped carrots
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 pint beef stock ( if I remember rightly)
  • Salt and pepper
He'd just put everything into the oven dish , mix them around a bit, put the lid on the dish and leave it in the oven all day. I suggest you try it, but watch how it goes!!! THe great thing about a casserole is the mix of flavours, and the longer it cooks, generally speaking, the better it tastes.

question in regards to your dads favorite.... did he cook the ground beef first or put it in uncooked???.. and how big is a "tin" of tomatoes and baked beans???.. and thank your for your kind words of encouragement:) i do appreciate them very much.....

catapono said:
question in regards to your dads favorite.... did he cook the ground beef first or put it in uncooked???.. and how big is a "tin" of tomatoes and baked beans???.. and thank your for your kind words of encouragement:) i do appreciate them very much.....

There were five of us at home, so it was probably a 800 gm (28 oz) tin of tomatoes and a 400 gm (14 oz) of beans! And yes, he fried the meat in little lard first.

Cabbage Casserole

I have never tried one before but I will print out your receipe for my file.
As for being too soggy I would add less water.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

I'm amzed this thread is still alive :)

anways i made this recipe many times already w/o preboilng the cabbage ( i like it better this way) here's the pics i took.They actually look the same LOL

img_329862_0_a7eea45ce52a08a836c7d993d09981d4.jpg

img_329862_1_2737bf57f0d97ff62454a5ea47f8cb99.jpg

Your cabbage casserole is similar to a milanese dish, Cassoeula, or cassuòla.
It's usually made in november, the season for cabbage and the time in which, here, porks are killed.
My mother never preboiled cabbage. Moreover, she was usually saying that cabbage, to be very good and..crunchy? crispy? (sorry...), must be the early ones, the cabbage that has suffered the first iced weather. Can this help you?
http://www.niguarda.com/Ristoranti/Cassoeula.htm
The recipe is in italian, but I think it's rather easy. All the pieces of pork are allowed.
Another suggestion to have a very crispy cabbage is to leave it outside, on the window, for a couple of days, (if you have a icy weather), in order to frost it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom