Reuben Casserole-TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
salty, no, though you could probably use that if that's all you can find. Corned beef hash has potatoes in it. Canned corned beef - hmmm...the brand I'm familiar with is Armour. It always says "product of Brazil" on the can. Guess Canada and USA can't make it. :LOL: Anyway, I'd think if you can find corned beef hash, you can find canned corned beef. Good luck!

If you go to Google, type in 'canned corned beef', and hit the 'Images' button, it comes up with several different brands of canned corned beef.

Recipe Review

Thanks callie!

I just made this recipe, almost exactly as you have presented it. I had never had corned beef from a can before but I looked for it and came up with the same one that you've described. I was skeptical to say the least. Even when I opened the can, I was immediately reminded of what we feed the cats in the morning :ROFLMAO: . There were only a few 'shreds' of meat in the can, and it seemed almost like a paste.

In spite of my trepidation, I carried on. My second area of (mild) concern was the use of sour cream in place of a thousand island or russian style salad dressing, which I have seen in other recipes for Reuben Casseroles (and an ingredient I always use when making traditional reuben sammiches).

Using your measurements, my 8 x 8 pan filled up pretty quickly... but I just kinda pressed it down and carried on...

To my surprise, the final product tasted better than I expected. The other flavors (sauerkraut, swiss cheese, rye 'croutons') kinda overwhelmed any flavor that the 'meat' might have had. And... as much as I like sour cream, I'll probably make this with some thousand island dressing (maybe 50:50 blend with the sour cream just to get the flavor in there). Additionally, I'll probably use deli sliced corned beef sliced thinly if for no other reason than aesthetics (but I suspect it would taste better, too).

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey, Z - you're welcome!! I'm so glad you perservered, tried and liked the recipe! I've made it with deli corned beef and, of course, it IS better...but I live in a tiny town and can't get deli meats. I like your idea of mixing a 50/50 blend of thousand island and sour cream...I'm gonna try that! :)

Reuben Casserole

Well I just mixed up all the ingredients, cause I made a copy of the recipe and I did everything according to the recipe and it was not about to fit in a 8 x 8 pan. I had to end up only using 6 slices of bread now that is ok. However I had to put everything over into a 9 x 13 x 2 pan. After I got the sauerkraut, sour cream, onion, in the 8 x 8 pan I had no room for the corned beef and all the other stuff. How in the world did you put all that stuff in a 8 x 8 pan. Its in the oven as we speak. Will let you know how it turns out when its done.

Reuben Casserole

Well just took the casserole out of the oven. Had to bake it for 45 min instead of the 30 as the recipe suggested. But then again I had a larger pan full plus my oven is slow. I let it cool slightly and tasted it. Excellent yummy will surely make it again and again and again. Hubby really likes it to. Thanks ever so much for the recipe. I will make sure to keep some for tomorrow cause I want to try it cold. Oh by the way mine was a little watery on the bottom. Is this natural. Also I used bagged sauerkraut. Also Hubby and I are on the Low Carb life style, so the cubed bread is the only thing we can't have. But if we are very careful we can have some of them. One more thing then I must go, I had no rye bread but used wheat bread and then sprinkled caraway seeds on top.

Reuben Casserole

Well just took the casserole out of the oven. Had to bake it for 45 min instead of the 30 as the recipe suggested. But then again I had a larger pan full plus my oven is slow. I let it cool slightly and tasted it. Excellent yummy will surely make it again and again and again. Hubby really likes it to. Thanks ever so much for the recipe. I will make sure to keep some for tomorrow cause I want to try it cold. Oh by the way mine was a little watery on the bottom. Is this natural. Also I used bagged sauerkraut. Also Hubby and I are on the Low Carb life style, so the cubed bread is the only thing we can't have. But if we are very careful we can have some of them. One more thing then I must go, I had no rye bread but used wheat bread and then sprinkled caraway seeds on top.

Back
Top Bottom