Reuben Casserole-TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callie

Head Chef
This is super easy and good, too.

Reuben Casserole

1 15 oz. can sauerkraut (drained)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup diced onion
1 12 oz. can corned beef (or corned beef from the deli)
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
6-8 slices rye bread (cubed)
1/2 to 3/4 cup melted butter

In a buttered 8 x 8 pan, pour sauerkraut, sour cream and onion. Crumble corned beef over the sauerkraut mixture. Sprinkle shredded cheese over corned beef layer. Top cheese with rye bread cubes. Pour melted butter over all. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until bubbly - approx. 30 minutes.

Looks good Callie,
have made a copy and will give this one a try... Thank you :)

kadesma

Bookmarking this one...it's gonna be lunch the day after St. Patrick's..

The king of all sandwiches...in casserole form. Brilliant!

Callie, thank you for posting this recipe. I have it somewhere in my files, and had forgotten all about it. Perfect for the upcoming holiday. You reminded me of a dish called Runza. If I recall, it's made with ground beef, but think corned beef would work as well.

I always get runzas and bierocks confused. Aren't they kind of the same? Maybe bierocks have ground meat in them and runzas have whole sausages in them?

Callie, this looks really good! I'll bet it's pretty good cold ...maybe? I'm always looking for things I can eat in the car for lunch and this looks like it would work. I do have one question ... what's canned corned beef? Like chipped beef or dried beef that you would use for creamed beef and toast?
Thank you!

JMediger said:
Callie, this looks really good! I'll bet it's pretty good cold ...maybe? I'm always looking for things I can eat in the car for lunch and this looks like it would work. I do have one question ... what's canned corned beef? Like chipped beef or dried beef that you would use for creamed beef and toast?
Thank you!

JM, you eat in your car? I'm shocked! Put down that burger and cell phone:LOL: j/k (I've only eaten at red lights.:angel: )

Last edited:
Oh no, did I say in my car :ohmy: ? I meant pulled along the road, at a complete stop, parking brake on - certainly not on the road, driving with my knee, trying to balance a baggie of pasta on my leg ... :D

JMediger said:
Oh no, did I say in my car :ohmy: ? I meant pulled along the road, at a complete stop, parking brake on - certainly not on the road, driving with my knee, trying to balance a baggie of pasta on my leg ... :D

Me too, JM. Would you pass me my mascara. :LOL:

JMediger said:
Thank you!

JM, I can't find a pic online to show you. I know Hormel and maybe Armour brands have a canned corned beef. It almost always says "product of Brazil" on the can. It's not like dried beef. It's a solid piece of meat in a can. Hopefully someone else here can describe it better than I. I find it on the same aisle in the market as canned corned beef hash, potted meat, vienna sausages, etc.

I make it with deli corned beef and the sauerkraut that comes in a bag in the refrigerated section. Usually near the meats.

vyapti, no, I've never made it w/o the melted butter. I bet you could decrease the amount by quite a bit, though, if you want to. I'm not sure what the result will be if you eliminate the butter altogether. Give it a try and let us know! :)

When I make casseroles that call for stuffing cubes, I toss them with chicken stock instead of butter. It cuts way down on the calories and keeps the cubes from drying into little cubes of basalt.

Your casserole looks good, callie. I will definitely try it.

Ok don't shoot me, k? What would be a good substitute cheese for the swiss in this recipe. I know, I know, a ruben has to have swiss but Im not much of a swiss person

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom