Shepard's Pie Rachel-The-Brat Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PabstBlueRibbon

Assistant Cook
When I was about 13, I woke up one morning wanting nothing more than tacos. That's it. Tacos. I thought I was going to DIE without tacos (at that age, I was under immediate threat of death over EVERYTHING). So, my stepmother pulled out the hamburger meat, cooked it, added taco seasoning and started to put together the rest... only to find *gasp!* no taco shells.

So, of course, I pitched a hissy, got sent outside to muck out stalls for raising my voice to her and when I came back in... voila! Meal saved. I make this dish at least once a week with whatever ground meat I have.

2 lbs. ground meat (beef and venison work best IMO)
2 packets taco seasoning
1 c. water
2 cans corn (or whatever canned veggie you like best)
5-6 medium Russet potatoes
1/4 c. butter
1 c. milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 lb. grated cheese

Crumble up the meat and cook in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off the fat. Return meat to the skillet, add taco seasoning and water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer meat to a nice big casserole dish, smooth down on the bottom so it covers and makes one layer. Add 2 cans of your veggie of choice so it covers the meat and makes the second layer.

While that's cooking, peel the potatoes and chop. Place into a pot and add water until just covered and boil until tender (don't forget to salt your water well!). Drain and return to pot or mixing bowl. Add butter to potatoes and begin to mash. Add milk until the potatoes are smooth, not too wet and not too sticky. Salt and pepper to taste. Spread this firmly in the casserole dish in long strokes to keep from dredging up the veggies. Add the cheese as the fourth and final layer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, switch to Broil for 5 minutes (keep an eye on it) until cheese is just starting to turn brown.

There ya go! This makes 12 big servings or 18 small servings. In my family, it's actually six giant servings, haha. What I like about it is this dish only gets better the next day, like a good soup.

If you want to freeze it, just put it together, omit the cheese and don't put it in the oven. :D Hope you guys like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom